EXUP test? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

EXUP test?

Is there a test for the exup vlave? I have an issue with my 09 that the exup rattles when at idle and coming off idle. I am not sure if it is rattling at higher RPM's because the exhaust drowns it out. I am concerned that it is not working at all this is my second 09 the first one had considerable more torque on the low and middle RPM range than this one does. I've tried reving it up in nuetral watching the watching to see if the cable and pully move and it does not but I thought maybe it had to be in gear, under a load or warmed up first.
Any Ideas on how to test it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Self test?

Yoson,

The only thing I have seen is the self test it does at power up. The cables rotate and calibrate when you turn on the ignition.

Here is an article from the WiKi on reinstalling. See if it helps you determine if things are OK.

http://www.linerwiki.com/index.php?title=ReinstallEXUP

Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I checked it turning the key on and it does rotate and center so I guess it is working, wonder why it is rattling so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM

Long shot

Kind of a long shot but, if you are stock disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. I understand the ECU will relearn some of it's data.

Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM

Loose cables? (Read that somewhere before,,,)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

cables seem to be fairly tight I think there is suppose to be some small slack I read it should be about 1/8 inch deflection, I'll try the battery disconnect see if that helps
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM

3mm movement

In the cable reinstall it talks about adjusting cable tension and position. Don't think there should be any play. They talk about being able to move them 3mm side play.

Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Cable tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
In the cable reinstall it talks about adjusting cable tension and position. Don't think there should be any play. They talk about being able to move them 3mm side play.

Dave
I looked at mine and the cables were fairly tight. definitely held the valve in place with no slack. i could not wiggle or rotate the EXUP valve at all. if you have slack that may be why you get a rattle as the valve can jiggle around. i actually unhooked mine before i went to Sturgis this year. i made a little wire linkage rod to hold the valve open and keep it in place and just let the cables hang free i measured the cable's adjusted length before i removed them with a digital caliper. you can get one at harbor freight for 15 bucks. i use it all the time. makes things like this easier to revert back to stock location. works great when you get your rear tire changed. you can measure the adjusters to make sure you tire is straight. on the EXUP valve. the only thing i noticed after keeping this exup open was a surge of power at 2500 rpm. it was no longer a smooth transition from 2000 to 3000. i'm not saying there is more power, just a noticeable surge at 2500 rpm. now that i'm used to it i have found i can do nice power slides when going around a sharp corner at slow speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode