reflection on the windshield - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

reflection on the windshield

Does anyone have a problem with the instrament cluster lights reflecting on the windshield at night? is there an after market shield or cover...? I have the 21 inch windshield.... and the reflection is right at the top where i look through....not good

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Hey Vince...I got a idea...turn off your lights or leave your bike in the garage at night time....this way you'll save your battery too...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I guess I could do that, but I think I will probably get a shorter windshield. I had a Nomad with the same type of instrament cluster on the tank, and don't recall that glare...and I am looking into a leather piece to go over the cluster at night. But thanks for the input...lol

I'll get this bike the way I want it yet...

Bye the way thanks for the link to Buck's lowers [deflectors] I think they will do the trick. to the wind coming up under the windshield at 65 to 70.

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 PM

I believe Yamaha makes a chrome cluster visor! It might help!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will check into the chrome cluster Visor...wish they made lowers though

thanks again

Vince
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:56 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Regarding the reflection of the instrument cluster lights, the light intensity can be adjusted so it isn't sooo bright. Instructions are in the manual. Hope this is helpful.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

reflection

Thanks for the tip, i purchased the biket used and don't have a manual, but the dealer said they will send one.

Also: Someone offered a tip using Buck's lower deflectors to help with the buffeting, and air coming under the shield and shooting up at 65 to70.

WOW that was the greatest tip. Thanks A LOT! Buck's lowers.com has the best solution around, and I can't believe you can't get lowers from the manufacturer for the stratoliner or roadliner....but for highway driving it is almost like having a full fairing... A tremendous difference in the ridablilty for long days on the road.

Thanks again for all your help

Vince
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Idiotic responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcv00fc View Post
Hey Vince...I got a idea...turn off your lights or leave your bike in the garage at night time....this way you'll save your battery too...
I don't think Vince asked for a stupid wiseass remark, he asked because he cares for his safety you tool!

VINCE, I went to Home Depot and bought Gorilla Glue and a sheet of Aluminum. I hand polished the aluminum to a chrome-like shine, and cut it out in the shape of the top of the Speedometer. The curve at the top of the speedo. I used metal sheers (buy them cheap at Lowes) to make a nice half-moon shaped cutout and after polishing everything, and then rounding out the edges, I gently glued the piece to the top of the speedo (where you have the rubber grommet between the speedo and the chrome). This prevents any glare from projecting onto my 21" windscreen. Yes, I nearly wrecked one day because of it! I also went to NHTSA's website and filed a complaint against Yamaha for the poor design.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM

You should be looking over the windshield, not through it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
You should be looking over the windshield, not through it.
You are so right. the windshield that comes with the bike is 3 to 4" too high....i bought a rife [ its been a while] shorter and wider, much better wind deflection...and i can see over it. BTW i did get a head light cover [ chrome] and bent it to fit in the groove around the speedo. it actually looks good too.

thanks

vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode