Did the first oil change - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Did the first oil change

Had it on the floor lift and I did have some one hold it. Drianed the two pans then changed the filter lowered it off the stand because the stand did cover the rear plug. Removed it while the bike was on the floor and drained the rest. Replaced that one and began the fill. Just wondering if I could cut a 17mm box end in half and not really need the jack at all. My dad and I used to "modify" tools to fit the job. Maybe heat it and bend it some instead of cutting it off.
Next will be the transfer case anyone have shortcuts or knowledge to make it an easier job?

Thanks

2008 Strat S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Sounds like your on a roll. I would short cut the t-case drain and loosen the rear exhaust clamp at muffler then take the rear head pipe nuts off from the head and twist the pipe down out of the way of the fill plug. this seem to work for me.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Banned

For the crankcase oil change, I use the lift to raise the bike then set it back down on a double layer of 2x8's under the front and rear tires and then use a full length 17mm wrench.

For the gear oil change, I just followed the shop manual procedure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Garage
I just threw down a plywood sheet on the ground and rolled the stratoliner on it, and sat the liner down on the kickstand. I thought "well, this is never going to work!!" But much to my surprise, I was able to drain the oil tank pretty easily, and I was able to remove both drain plugs on the engine crankcase using a "stubby" 17mm combi wrench. I also used a somewhat shallow oil drain pan (kinda triangular in shape) and everything drained very well. I believe by placing the strat on the kickstand, the oil drained out much better and more thorough from the engine crankcase!!

Me being a BIG person, I still found it fairly easy to drain the engine oil out of the strat even without a jackstand. As it is, I don't own a jackstand anyway!! I believe the key is using a "stubby" wrench!!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Garage
Excuse me... A Floor Lift, not a Jackstand!! It's Friday Ya'll and I'm tired!!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Congrats on your first oil change! I hope it gave you a sense of pride to do your own work, like it does for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll90 View Post
Just wondering if I could cut a 17mm box end in half and not really need the jack at all. My dad and I used to "modify" tools to fit the job.
Before you go to modifying tools, take a look at crowfoot wrenches. They snap right onto your 3/8" ratchet, and you can use them with a torque wrench, if you've got one.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 PM

Yep...stubby works...Sears for $15.99 stubby Craftsman gear wrench...priceless!

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 AM

Garage
I will not let the dealer do the oil & filter change any more on my bike!! At the 600 mile service, all "seemed" right. At the 4000 mile service is when I got the shock of my life!! I had driven home from the dealer, about 50 miles, and got home and checked the oil level and I was horrified to see that the oil was nearly BLACK as my son's old Ford Ranger pickup.

Also, I had asked the dealer to save me a sample of the 600 thru 4000 mile oil, and any leftover new oil in the gallon container. The dealer gave me a quart of the sample oil in a yamalube container, and gave me an empty gallon and full quart of the fresh oil leftover. I thought this was strange because the capacity of the crankcase with oil filter is 5.1 liters, and the dealer gave me a full quart of fresh oil leftover???

It just didn't add up!! Oh I tell you I was mad as hell until 8000 miles, then I decided to do my own oil change, then I was even MADDER than hell !! The forward engine oil plug was loose to the point of had I driven it on another North GA mountain run, the motorcycle would have been a chapter in history!! Also, I had the time of my life trying to get the damn oil filter off!! I believe (but cannot prove) it was the original filter born on the bike!!

Well, I let everything drain well and put a fresh new filter on, snugged all the bolts down real good, then proceeded to fill the bike with fresh oil. Guess what...... I used EXACTLY 5 quarts of oil, and, I drove it around say 50 to 75 miles or so and checked the oil and the oil was nice and clean and translucent AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AT 4000 miles!!

I went back to the Dealer and checked to "see" who did the 4000 mile service on my bike, and found out it was none other than a JACKASS PUNK Grease Gopher with his head up his ASS!! Kinda like the kids that Damquick1 (forum member) described in his incident with Hit and Run!!

Long Story short....I have found out the hard way to do most of the work on my bike myself!! I can't rely on the dealer to do the routine maintenance, because they will ALWAYS throw the least one out there on your investment!! This is so sad!! I am certain many of ya'll out there have experienced something of the same!!

B.T.W. I use Motul 7100 4T 20W-50 oil in my sled!! And a Yamaha Oil Filter.

E.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Better unwind yer britches a bit and read the manual, BigE as it truly appears that you haven't.

Per Yamaha, there is no filter change at 4,000 miles.

Your bike will not hold 5 (4.90) Liter's of oil without a filter change.
Only holds 4.10 liters,,,

Looks to me like the 'grease gopher with his head up his ass' at least read the manual and got that part right...
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM

Even tho the manual may say not to change the filter, I and many others say do it. Fresh oil dirty filter what happens to that oil..black as that old ford ranger lol. Yamaha sells bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode