Test drive at Sturgis. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Test drive at Sturgis.

Hi All, while at Sturgis i took some bikes for a test drive. i drove a Vic Cross Country, a Stratoliner deluxe and a Kawasaki Vaquero. i wanted to test a HD but never made it. I thought the Vic CC was going to be the best (not counting the Strat of course) because it looked so good. after riding it i was totally unimpressed. i thought it felt like their ATV's not the high quality i feel when driving my Strat. a case of looks good feels bad. the Kawasaki was actually a very nice bike. My favorite was the SL Deluxe. the one i rode had optional wind deflectors on the big bar engine guard and a tall windshield. the thing that did bug me about the Strat Deluxe was it felt really doggy compared to my 07 Strat S. i don't mean a little off the mark. it was a dog. im not sure if they somehow de-tuned the bikes for the test drives or not but this one was not impressing me at all. felt like they took the spark plug wires off one of the cylinders. it was that bad. has anybody with an older bike (06, 07, 08) ran against a Strat deluxe? maybe my bike is one of those bike's that just runs stronger than the rest. i would like to hear if anyone has raced one head to head and hear the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
Strat Deluxe was it felt really doggy compared to my 07 Strat S. i don't mean a little off the mark. it was a dog. im not sure if they somehow de-tuned the bikes for the test drives or not but this one was not impressing me at all. felt like they took the spark plug wires off one of the cylinders. it was that bad. has anybody with an older bike (06, 07, 08) ran against a Strat deluxe? maybe my bike is one of those bike's that just runs stronger than the rest. i would like to hear if anyone has raced one head to head and hear the results.
I wonder, just a thought here, I wonder if the gearing in the new Strat is taller then your 07. If so and that is only IF, then you would be used to the gearing in your 07 and maybe not winding out the new one long enough?
Seems hard to believe, unless, like you say, something was wrong with the bike (I doubt they detuned it) that there was so much difference between the bikes unless it is something like I just said.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
I wonder, just a thought here, I wonder if the gearing in the new Strat is taller then your 07. If so and that is only IF, then you would be used to the gearing in your 07 and maybe not winding out the new one long enough?
Seems hard to believe, unless, like you say, something was wrong with the bike (I doubt they detuned it) that there was so much difference between the bikes unless it is something like I just said.
as far as i know the bikes should be identical mechanically. i dont believe they changed anything. also i would think the deluxe would be ,,,well deluxe. you would think the Deluxe would be better than the other strats. i know i have ran into other strat "S" bikes and they were very close to the same. i didnt get to race this bike so maybe its the loud muffler on my bike. you know how much faster they get when that big block Yamaha starts to holler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 PM

that sound s really neat that you could do all that at one time. and i have been eyeballing the victory c.c.for a while thinking the big gas tank would nice but a little more top heavy.
as far as power of a strat deluxe cant compare it to a 07 ether , but if it's the 1800 or the 1700 it seems there a little more snappy than the 1900's

Mitch M.
Winfield ,KS
2010 strat deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode