Tires - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Tires

What are you running? I've got an 06 Roadliner Midnight and I can not get a tire to stand up. Can anyone direct me to a good wearing tire and say what size they are running for a Liner, not a V-star. I hate to say it but I drive like my buddies and they are getting 15,000 km out of their tires on their Hardly's. I don't want them to have ANYTHING over me..
Please Help
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 05:11 PM

This has been a delima for me since I bought my 06 Strat new. OE Bridgestone Exedra 6000-7000 miles, Dunlop D205 5000-6000 miles, Metzler ME 880 Marathon 4000 miles. I ride year round and have to replace the rear tire 2-3 times a year. Absolutely rediculous!!!

MDSR

"ride to live"
'06 Stratoliner "S", '02 HD Heritage Softail
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Tire mileage

nrft,

You are not that much off what others are getting. If you hold back on first and second gear acceleration a little you might get 10,000 miles (16k Km). That's about what I get from Bridgestones. I try to save hard acceleration for turns and upper gears. I avoid engine braking unless I need it. Spreading some of the wear to the front tire.

It is a heavy bike with a lot of torque. You can rip rubber off the tire without spinning the tire.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM

What they said...this is a problem all Liner owners are having.

However, there may be help on the way if this new Michelin tire soon to be released lives up to it's claims. Of course they'll also have to make a tire size that actually fits our Liners, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...commanderII_EN

Last edited by Stratonut; 09-06-2011 at 09:35 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
However, there may be help on the way if this new Michelin tire soon to be released lives up to it's claims. Of course they'll also have to make a tire size that actually fits our Liners, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...commanderII_EN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this new Mihelin tire does what it claims I will buy two. Could you belive more than 40k klicks for a v-star- That wouuld be the rest of my life.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 AM

yes, the torque rips the life out of the rear tire. i tried to control myself last year and got 8,000 out of the rear tire and 11,000 from the front. this year i said i would rather have more fun and i am sittin at 4000 mi and it is getting worn. (only did one brake stand so far). it is so easy to twist the throttle so you can enjoy that power pulling you thru the gears. i think you pay the price for this enjoyment and pay for it in rubber. i guess the alternative is to buy a weaker bike that wont wear the tire out. yeah right like that is going to happen. if the liners are the fastest big V-twin bikes on the market then you better get used to buying tires. the same thing happens to me with my 65 Malibu SS. the more i hop it up the faster the rear tires wear out. yet strangely i find this totally satisfying. Hmmmm go figure that out.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM

G'day all, I ride a Midnight Star (Roadliner). I need to replace tires soon. I'm in Thaland, so tires have to be ordered in. Any ideas on what is the largest width that I can fit without making major mods? Rear currently 190/60-17.
Cheers, Nigel
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelGoode View Post
G'day all, I ride a Midnight Star (Roadliner). I need to replace tires soon. I'm in Thaland, so tires have to be ordered in. Any ideas on what is the largest width that I can fit without making major mods? Rear currently 190/60-17.
Cheers, Nigel
You can fit a 240 under it. The problem is the rims not an 18 and its only 5.5 wide. So the problem really is just the rim. cycle image can take your stock rim and make it a 18x8.5 for about 600 bucks. Then you trim the fender but the belt guard and then you can put on your 240.

http://www.cycleimage.com/articles_240tire.aspx

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top

Last edited by HTMNKYLVE; 09-13-2011 at 10:37 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. It looks super with the 240. I'll have to find someone in Bangkok to make the mods for me.
Cheers, Nigel
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Have fun riding your Liner in Bangkok traffic...and don't forget to wear your gas mask!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode