miffed at Yamaha engineer/designers - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

miffed at Yamaha engineer/designers

For what purpose did the designers decide that the left side cover on the stratoliner reqiore a security torx bit to get it off? I mean really...what is the purpose? and why could they not have included it in the tool bag?

anyone in Ontario - Oshawa area know where you can buy these?

papa d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

You should be able to buy one a brafasco or stores similar. Where I work we use security bolts and I know they get the bits from there as they supply the bolts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
They put that there for the seat lock so some just can't unscrew it and steal your helmet when it's locked in place under the seat with the helmet cable.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

....so no one can steal your helmet ?!....that's a pretty poor design in my mind, and if so should they not provide you with the tool to remove the side cover? I mean, this is a real inconveince....you are supposed to be provided with a small tool pouch to perform some basic repairs....and removing the fuels tank to sya..oh, clean the air filter, requires that side cover removal to detach the fuel line....

Someone dropped the ball on that one....My goal now is to contact Yamaha corp., and have them send me this tool for free !!

stay tuned!

papa d
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aide View Post
You should be able to buy one a brafasco or stores similar. Where I work we use security bolts and I know they get the bits from there as they supply the bolts.
You can get a set cheap at Harbor Freight as well if you have one nearby and don't feel like ordering it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM

seems like a lot of whining for something that costs about 4.00 for a whole set. i bought mine at a hardware store. they had a cheap china bin with all kinds of crap in it. i bought 2 sets one set went from T7 - T20 and the other set was bigger yet. both were $3.00 each so i invested a whole 6 bucks. they have held up great so far. once you have it you will have it forever if you don't lose it. then all you liner buddies will want to use yours and you can charge them a 12 pack of beer to use it. you will actually make or save a ton of money as beer costs way more than the drivers do.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Harbor frieght sells the whole set for $4.99, and you can buy the individual bits at sears or lowes or home depot or wherever for probably 60 cents. I don't think this is really the end of the world.

Personally, I'd like to throw a thank you out for at least trying to keep stuff secure. A lot of manufacturers don't bother.

example: Suzuki's M50 in 2006, the helmet lock could be removed from the fender with a phillips head screwdriver. That's safe.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
seems like a lot of whining for something that costs about 4.00 for a whole set. i bought mine at a hardware store. they had a cheap china bin with all kinds of crap in it. i bought 2 sets one set went from T7 - T20 and the other set was bigger yet. both were $3.00 each so i invested a whole 6 bucks. they have held up great so far. once you have it you will have it forever if you don't lose it. then all you liner buddies will want to use yours and you can charge them a 12 pack of beer to use it. you will actually make or save a ton of money as beer costs way more than the drivers do.
Well ! to start, the problem here in CANADA, where the beer isn't cheap (dollars or quality) is that there are not a whole lot of tool suppliers that actually stock those bits...(and I am pissed about that)...but the pricipal of the matter still stands..if only cost 4 buck a set, why couldn't the f**k'n bastards overseas through in a bit forthe tool pouch...what the price of a yen too much for them?.....someday someone may take notice of the 'screw the consumer' oversight and future riders may be thankful that that they received a COMPLETE tool kit....
that's my 2 cents....oh, hold on I need it back to buy the bit!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
For what purpose did the designers decide that the left side cover on the stratoliner reqiore a security torx bit to get it off? I mean really...what is the purpose? and why could they not have included it in the tool bag?

anyone in Ontario - Oshawa area know where you can buy these?

papa d
Off your subject just a bit, but in the same vein, ask the designers why, in their infinite wisdom, did they design the 1100 to where a guy has to drop a pipe just to get to the oil filter One wonders

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
Well ! to start, the problem here in CANADA, where the beer isn't cheap (dollars or quality) is that there are not a whole lot of tool suppliers that actually stock those bits...(and I am pissed about that)...but the pricipal of the matter still stands..if only cost 4 buck a set, why couldn't the f**k'n bastards overseas through in a bit forthe tool pouch...what the price of a yen too much for them?.....someday someone may take notice of the 'screw the consumer' oversight and future riders may be thankful that that they received a COMPLETE tool kit....
that's my 2 cents....oh, hold on I need it back to buy the bit!!!
You're going to be disappointed when you find out that's not the only tool missing from the otherwise "complete" tool kit.

Most motorcycles come with some basic tools, but by no means is it typically a complete kit. This seems like a huge rant over a very simple issues to solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode