Oil / Filter / Gear Oil Yes, I know old subject! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Cool Oil / Filter / Gear Oil Yes, I know old subject!

Yes, I know this is an old subject and I've read a bunch on here and the more I read the more I get confused on what to do. Here I go and open pandora's box again.

I put 850 miles on my bike 2010 Stratoliner S the first three days bringing it back from NC. My Girlfriend and I experianced a Great 3 Day ride From NC > VA > PA > NY. What a great way to break-in a New bike.

I decided to run standard oil and had the Stealer ( Dealer ) do my first change and run through bike.

I know have 2500 miles on the bike and getting ready to do the Second oil change. I'm in NY and the Dealer put in 20w 50 oil.

Here are my questions.

1. Should I switch to a lighter oil in NY. Soon the temps will be 20deg - maybe high 70deg for winter months. Then back to 20w 50 for the 90 - 100deg summer months.

2. OIL > Amsoil motorcycle / Brad Penn V2 20w 50 Motorcycle / Valvoline V2 Motorcycle 20w 50 or VR 1 / Other ? I run Rotella
5w 40 T6 in my chopper V2 Suzuki Intruder.

( My opinion Amsoil is the best, but have read engine and trans are noisy when using this oil. ) Side note I usually Change oil 3000 - 3500 miles. I use mileage and conditions during use to determine oil change periods. Hotter weather extreme conditions I change more. I know I can go longer with Syn oil, but I live in NY and put about 7,000 mile on my main bike a year. I own 2 bike 1 Chopper for bar hopping and my Stratoliner for most 2 up comfort and trips.

3. Oil Filter > I am leaning towards the Purolator 1 PL14610 Think it's the best for the $$$

4. What Gear oil for this bike?

I want to hear what you are using and why.

I also found out that my 2010 Strat has Cat converters in the Pipes.... UGGggggggg Why? LOL In the next couple years that will be changed...

PS LOVE MY STRATOLINER>>> Best Bike I have owned...

My Bikes>>
Intruder 6 by utwillrise, on Flickr

stratoliner by utwillrise, on Flickr

Last edited by bullisok; 09-07-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

May I gently suggest you re-post this in the oil/lubrication section? That's where the lube lunatics and filter fanatics congregate...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM

I too live in NY and I use Mobile 1 full syn 20/50 in my liner and a K&N oil filter KN303. Mobile 1 motorcycle oil at auto zone $9.69 qrt. $15 for the filter at Lanes.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

May I gently suggest you re-post this in the oil/lubrication section? That's where the lube lunatics and filter fanatics congregate...
I was going to post it there but wanted to hear more from Stratoliner owners with the same bike I have vs the Oil nuts... If I don't get a good response I will move it to Oil section.... Thanks
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM

There is a chart in the owners manual you can consult on what viscosilty oil to use for the temperature your riding in. For gear box oil the red line has a 75w80 GL4 oil.
BTW I bought some Brad Penn 20W50 today for $5.00 a quart. I'll use this down to 34 degrees. Below 34 degrees my bike stays parked.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullisok View Post
I was going to post it there but wanted to hear more from Stratoliner owners with the same bike I have vs the Oil nuts... If I don't get a good response I will move it to Oil section.... Thanks
try the rotella 10w-40 t-6, thats what i use in my v-twins. works fine, and liner.

Last edited by bevo1981; 09-18-2011 at 04:17 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarley bill View Post
try the rotella 10w-40 t-6, thats what i use in my v-twins. works fine, and liner.
Isn't the Rotella T6 the 5W40 ? That's what I use in my Intruder.

Last edited by bevo1981; 09-18-2011 at 04:17 PM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Call me crazy but I just switched to a 15/40 super 1300 mobil. Yes that's right it's for diesels.Read the api ratings it covers everything our liners need and then some.I put close to 600 miles on it this past weekend with no problems. The valve train was quieter at hwy speeds,trans shifted good and had less noise when blistering hot.Oh and it was $2.75 a qt. Hey what the hell oil is oil right.lol

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Banned

I forget, which one of these is you?

Last edited by stratowart; 09-29-2011 at 01:27 PM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned

If you follow the manufacturer's recommendations you can't go wrong, especially if you change at 3500 miles or less. I do the same as you, depends a lot on summer temps and riding conditions. Long high speed higway miles vs. short commutes, if you monitor the aforementioned closely then any oil meeting the recommended specs will be "just right"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode