whirring sound in the motor - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

whirring sound in the motor

Does anyone know what is causing this whirring sound, when i let of the throttle...[coast], and when i'm 2 up it does it around 50 to 55 mph if throttling or not.

at first I thought it was the tires, like when they start to sing in a curve...but it happens on the straight also.

thanks for any help

as for the ride: now that I have the mustang seats and Bucks lowers for wind deflection, it is a joy to ride, with no stress at high speeds.

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM

it seems no one is giving you an answer yet..
I had a roadstar and they do the same, usually the drive belt needs adjusting to fix check how tight it is. see if that helps.
Paul
I am hoping to get a stratoliner this spring and was reading about likes and dislikes. seems most are happy and just little problems making it theirs should cure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

whirring noise

thanks bow hunter....it turned out to be much worse than that.

it was the main drive bearing.... about 2100.00 to fix.....thank God yamaha came to the party for most of it....i still had to put out 500.00 for the diagnosis...i went to cycle world [ cherry hill]to ask for the diff. since i bought it there and they should have known there was a problem when i bought it, but they told me to pound salt!

yamaha is a great product and they stand by their stuff. i now have a warranty till 2011.

thanks again

vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc9951 View Post
thanks bow hunter....it turned out to be much worse than that.

it was the main drive bearing.... about 2100.00 to fix.....thank God yamaha came to the party for most of it....
yamaha is a great product and they stand by their stuff. i now have a warranty till 2011.
thanks again
vince
wow how did you get yamaha involved? thru a dealer? hard to believe they would pick it up after so long.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
wow how did you get yamaha involved? thru a dealer? hard to believe they would pick it up after so long.
yes, i took it to flemington yamaha...they looked it up and apparently the original owner had an extended warranty....which should have been passed on to me...but cycle world never told me, and sold me another outside extended warranty....700.00

zurich would not uphold the damage as they said it was pre existing...so i went to cycle world and got my money back for the zurich warranty....6 mos later, i finally got the check....the whole thing was a mess... cycle world was NOT customer friendly.

so now i know i have an extended warranty till 2011.

wanna buy a beautiful silver Stratoliner that runs great now?

Vince
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM

well I'm glad it is all worked out and a shame on that cycle world for not taking care of things to start with. Guess I know where the recommendations will be.
Sometimes that belt gets over tight which is hard to do and it will strain the bearing. Good luck and ride safe.
Paul
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM

Extended Warranty

Wow, that was one of the 1st things I checked before I bought my used Stratoliner S. Of course I was already familiar with Yamaha's extended warranty because I had it on my 2001 Roadstar which I bought new in 2000.

2006 Stratoliner S -- $12,200.00
4-year extended warranty out to 2011
Mustang driver and passenger seat combo (also original seats)
Yamaha Speedstar Exhaust (also original exhaust)
Passing Lamps
Dynamo Power Commander II
Billet Passenger Floor Boards
Rear Luggage Rack
Saddle Bag Guards with Trim Rails
Big Bar Engine Guard

Not bad for a $17,000.00 motorcyle (before you add more than $4,000.00 for extras) less than 9 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode