Oddball gas gauge behaviour - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Oddball gas gauge behaviour

So this one has me stumped. Twice now I've parked the bike overnight with a little over a quarter of a tank. When I go out the net morning and start my ride, the fuel gauge dips and "skips" the last 1/4 of a tank, and my low fuel light doesn't come on.

I've filled up both times at the "empty" mark, and both times it took 3.5 gallons to fill it. I'm stumped on what could be happening. It seems like if it was a faulty sender or something of that nature that it wouldn't be consistently skipping the same portion of the gauge, but maybe I'm over thinking things.

Thoughts?

Oh...It's on a 2009 roadliner. Forgot that part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 AM

The gauge is sensitive at the end... reads empty for a while before the light comes on. when it does you should take close to 4 gallons. when it is empty empty tank.
gauge doesn't like the low, area and fuel is in all spaces running to the reserve tank, where it gets pumped to throttle bodies. when running on reserve tank it will light up and start mileage counting up how many miles you have gone on reserve. wouldn't do much more then 20. other thing I have noticed is when having more gas then close to hitting empty on needle. If it starts difficult, it will set the trip meter to miles on bike. and gauge will read empty for beginning of trip before it reads whats in tank.
Keep an eye on it, just to be sure it is regular gremlins...
Ride Safe

Last edited by bowhunter4265; 09-13-2011 at 09:37 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

What you're saying actually makes sense. So the "low fuel light" isn't really a low fuel light in this case, it's more of a "hey dummy, you're running on your half gallon reserve, go find a gas station" light.

I didn't realize it was smart enough to know when I swapped over to reserve, that's actually sort of cool, in an annoying way. Thanks for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM

I rode the other day on my 09 Stratoliner S. It showed close to empty. Just decided to push it to see if light would come on. Needle was at the pin mark. I was sweating. It only took 2.89gals. I guess for now on Ill wait for the Yellow Gremlin to come on.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Yep the hey dummy light. i pushed it to 28 before it ran out. just learning the bike. Plus I was close to home and had spare can in saddle bag. Wally World sells one that seals for transport cheap enough to try and fits.

When the trip odo switches for reserve the odo says F_ _ _ guess what I call it.

Ride Safe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM

My 2 cents

Pretty much the same story.

When on a long trip I like to run untill the light comes on. Once the next exit did not have a gas station. I had 25 miles on my reserve trip meter when I found gas. Don't remember for sure how much gas I put in but I believe it was 4.2 gallons. Could be off some there.

My light does not come on untill the meter is below E and actually touching the post on the down stop for the meter. At that point I believe the bike is running on the reserve tank which is under the seat and containing the fuel pump. And I have about 3/4 gallon of gas. (0.79 gal actually.) If I get 40 MPG then that's 30 miles. (Or 31.6) 25 is close enough for me. I must have been close.

I suspect they may give us a little room for error. A friend filled an oil bottle with gas and ran it out just so he could know.

Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Just tonight my gauge was on E for 15 miles and no light. So I stopped to filler up and it took 3.93 gallons.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeater113 View Post
Just tonight my gauge was on E for 15 miles and no light. So I stopped to filler up and it took 3.93 gallons.
I'm at 130 miles on this tank, so I expect when I head home it'll be on E pretty quickly. I'll let ir run down for a while, and see what happens. Here's hoping that it doesn't involve the words "Hello? AAA? Yeah, can you bring me some gas?".
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

good ole' 1-800-AAA-HELP!

good luck!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Was riding it hard last night. didn't get it filled, when I left to go this am it was on E but no lite yet, turned the corner where I get gas light popped on, odo switched and 0.0 miles when I stopped to fill. I had 148 and that was hard running it took almost 4 gallons. The wrist twist sure puts a cramp in the mpg. I got almost 50 mpg Saturday, on ride with others, and few hard days on my own dropped to 38ish.
Ride Safe All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode