cleaning supplies and tools - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

cleaning supplies and tools

I am currently using the Original Bike spirits Spray cleaner and polish for most surfaces. And the Plexiglas cleaner for the windshield. I know this might be like the oil threads but....... how does this product compare to others for better for worse for more and less bugs and guts. What are other options?

And what are some of your fav cleaning tools? Meaning how do you get be-tween the fins on the cylinder housings what about those hard to reach places. Is taking off the front fender a better way to clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Your right

Rocknroll,

You are right about the oil, but to a lesser degree.

What I use and have used. I currently just use Yamahalube spray polish and detailer. It has some cleaner and some wax in it. Works well on paint, chrome, and windshield. I would avoid the really hot parts of the exhaust. Before that I used Honda spray cleaner polish. It is pretty much the same. Both work well and are easy to use. If you are searious about wax you will need to put on more later.

A few years back I used Pledge for the same. Also works well, but no wax. All of these can be used on windshields without scratching. So can be carried in the bag for bugs on the road. Pledge will wash off with rain. Lots of old timers used to use it. Specially on plastic.

If you want a really good job it's hard to beat water, soap and wax. Some of those new polimer polish's work well too. But, be carefull what you use on your windshield. If you rub dust around, or use a man made fabric like Nylon or Polyester it will scratch clear plastic. I use only 100% cotton or a micro cloth.

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 09-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Here's a website reviewing a wide array of products for the maintenance and care of our bikes.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-cleaning-polish/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 10:24 PM

I have a bunch of different cleaners, polishes, waxes, and whatnot. I gotta say that Maxima SC1 is hands down the best one I've used for spray detailing. Lately I've been using eagle one gel wax. It's super easy to use and makes the paint look nice. If your bike isn't very dirty, you can just wipe it down with a damp microfiber, then follow it with spray wax to give it that just washed and waxed look. I've been using the eagle one superior spray wax (autozone had a deal 2 eagle one products for 10 bucks, almost half price).
For the engine, swingarm, etc use the s100 engine brightener. My local shops didn't sell it so I ordered 3 of them from amazon. It works really good. Makes the whole engine look brand new. I spray it down first with some engine cleaner and let it soak for about 10 minutes, then rinse. Then I wash the bike. By the time the bike is washed and dried, it's ready for the s100. Let it dry while I wax the bike, then wipe off the excess. I should have done before and after pics...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 PM

I have the "S" model in addition to the bling I've added I had a bunch of chrome straight from the factory. Much of the chrome is in very hard to reach places, like my chrome forks behind my Bucks lowers, my valve covers and , well, you know all the places you can't reach. I went searching on the internet for the perfect brushes in order to reach all of the tight spots. I found them, I bought 4 and will order more in the future. I use one for washing the tight spots when I use a very soft brush for the rest of the bike. I use a different brush to apply wax to hard to reach places, and yet another one of the brushes to buff the wax off as they are very soft and durable brushes. I am toying with chucking one in my low speed drill and using it to buff in hard to reach places. Here is a link to where I got them. Oh, I bought some Protect All and it works well on the paint, chrome, and the windshild. I read very good reviews of Protect All here and on other websites. I have to agree with the positive reports. Make sure you get the original Protect All because a lot of manufacturers make a similar sounding, knock off product that doesn't work near as good as the original stuff. I found mine at Wal-Mart but it is only available in the RV section, not the car wax section.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W50KX6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Here is the link to the Protectall website.
http://www.protectall.com/motorcycle.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode