Lifter noise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Lifter noise

So is some lifter noise normal on start up when it's cool/cold and the bike has sat for a while or is my bike telling me it wants to go in for warranty work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

I became accustomed to that noise having owned the 102cu.in. Warrior before the Strato.
You can bring it in to check it out just for peace of mind, but you may hear back that it is a normal noise during start ups, especially after sitting unused for a few days. if you shut it off and put it away and one of the valves is in an open position, the oil associated with that valve will drain into the sump area and air will get into the valve lifter area. It takes a few minutes to replace all the air with oil and you will hear lifter noise during that time. I can't hear the noise to compare it to what I hear every morning so if you feel it is excessive, take a ride to see your dealer and inquire.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Sewing machine kind of chatter. Is normal. When it is loud and continues for longer then a moment... then think about???
But some have had the lifter issue, dealers tend to try and fix with there semi-blend oil.
I still run amsoil 20/50 and knock on wood she purrs.

Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
I became accustomed to that noise having owned the 102cu.in. Warrior before the Strato.
You can bring it in to check it out just for peace of mind, but you may hear back that it is a normal noise during start ups, especially after sitting unused for a few days. if you shut it off and put it away and one of the valves is in an open position, the oil associated with that valve will drain into the sump area and air will get into the valve lifter area. It takes a few minutes to replace all the air with oil and you will hear lifter noise during that time. I can't hear the noise to compare it to what I hear every morning so if you feel it is excessive, take a ride to see your dealer and inquire.
Yeah, I figured it might be normal after sitting a few days in this colder weather. It gets back to it's regular quiet self after warm up. Usually like 3-7 minutes depending on ambient temps.

Last edited by TenTwelve; 10-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I guess being low on oil didn't help. *facepalm* Stupi f**king dealership's tech is worthless. I should've known since they let my new Tuono leave with me with almost no coolant. Uggghh.... If it wasn't for the ridiculous deals my friend (general manager) gives me I'd be making some calls. Oh. and now I have to go get another quart of Yamalube since I used a little more than half of one I was going to use on my oil change Friday.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

DOH!
Yes with a full oil tank, the lifter noise will go away a lot quicker.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should be happy the lifter noise went away at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode