Basic maintenance questions for Roadliner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Basic maintenance questions for Roadliner

I don't need to be in a rush or anything.

The 2007 Roadliner I just bought had it's 6,000 mile service done while it was still owned by Yamaha corporate. And the seller did an oil change about 40 miles before I bought the bike.

But I've been looking at what kind of oil to use for the next oil change.

And then just maintenance stuff in general (cleaning the Stratoliner bags, shining chrome, etc.).

The seller was a diesel mechanic who had ridden bikes for 30 years. He really likes Castrol 20/50, saying in his experience it was the best for both cold and heat (I'm more worried about "heat").

He said he'd done his own research, and talked to quiet a few mechanics who actually rebuilt motorcycle engines, and in his/their experience, synthetic really wasn't all that great. He said it was great for gears, but not really as good as mineral oil in key ways as an engine oil.

I know people disagree vehemently on oil, but what do you think?

Also chrome polish and seat/bag cleaner (right now I'm using Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant).

What supplies for shining up the bike do I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm adding here that I live in a very hot climate (Palm Springs area), and was somewhat concerned about an air/oil cooled bike.

I'd be willing to pay the extra bucks for synthetic if it helped in high temps.

Last edited by michaeld; 10-14-2011 at 05:26 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 PM

IMHO (see disclaimer below):

If i change my oil on a regular basis like i'm suppose to i don't believe that synthetic is going to make that much of a difference if any at all. For cooling purposes i would look into an oil cooler before i started nit-picking about oil. My 2 cents.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Oil

For what it is worth, your engine will probably last a hundred thousand miles no matter what kind of oil you use.

Dave
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
For what it is worth, your engine will probably last a hundred thousand miles no matter what kind of oil you use.

Dave
IMHFO, linerdave speaks the gospel truth.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I would continue to change my oil the same way I always have: once a year whether I need to or not.

I was told the service interval for a Roadliner oil change is 4,000 miles or twice a year. I would not go 4,000 miles in 6 months.

And I would not extend the interval whether I used synthetic or not.

But I keep seeing stuff like this:
On the subject of whether or not to use a petroleum or synthetic motorcycle oil my recommendation is to use a premium quality synthetic. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. Synthetic oil has been proven to resist high temperature breakdown and shearing effects at higher engine operating temperatures for a much longer time period than petroleum oil and as a result allows the oil to stay in the specified viscosity grade much longer. Synthetic oil is more uniform in molecular structure and will reduce internal friction and thus provide for lower engine operating temperatures as well as provide for smoother shifting.

We have measured the cylinder and cylinder head operating temperatures in two identical motorcycles; one running petroleum oil and the other a premium quality synthetic. We measured an average of 15-20 degree F. temperature difference after a very mild ride and short period of idling. At extreme engine operating temperatures and conditions this value can be up to 35-45 degrees F. lower with synthetic oil. We have received reports of this from motorcyclists that have oil temperature gages installed in their crankcase. We received another report of a customer that when he was using petroleum oil in hot summer heat and traffic jams he would have to shut off his air-cooled V-twin engine because it began overheating. After changing to a premium quality synthetic motorcycle oil his engine temperatures dropped significantly and he no longer had that problem on hot summer days in traffic. Again there is no comparison between the two and anybody that tells you otherwise has obviously not reviewed documented test data and facts clearly showing that synthetic oil outperforms petroleum oil in every category.

We have a report of a dynamometer test run comparing a specific manufacturers branded motorcycle oil to a premium quality synthetic oil. In the first part of the test with the petroleum oil installed in the engine, transmission and primary chaincase the maximum horsepower (Hp) was 68.1 and the maximum torque was 80 lb.-ft. In the second part of the test the same motorcycle was used and all petroleum oil products drained from the engine, transmission and primary chaincase. With the synthetic the maximum Hp was 69.8 and the maximum torque was 81.3 lb.-ft. Thatís a gain of 1.7 Hp and 1.3 lb.-ft. torque, which is what We consider a significant amount of gain just from changing from petroleum oil to a premium quality synthetic oil.
It is hard to separate the truth from the industry telling you what they want you to think.

As for the "hundred thousand miles" thing, that of course sounds really good to me.

I just came across something last night that had me a little concerned: 3rd gear failure on Roadliners.

Fortunately, it doesn't appear to be as widespread as the few people complaining about it try to make it seem. And my bike makes no "noises" so far in any gear. Other than her standard purr.

Oh, and Sparky, my bike already HAS an oil cooler. I thought it was just a stock feature on the Roadliner. Am I wrong? My unit sure looks OEM.

On my view, the cooler the better. When I first started looking at bikes, I only considered water cooled bikes. I stumbled across this Roadliner the last week of my search, and asked a lot of questions before concluding I would probably be all right even out here (not a lot of traffic jams in this area).
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Your bike has an oil cooler so you don't need to add one. Conventional oil is great oil and like the other guys said your bike will last a long time if serviced regularly.20/50 castrol is a very good all year around oil.I've used castrol 20/50 in both bike with no problems.The oil companys will say what sounds good to make you buy their oil. It's all good oil,it has to pass industry standard tests or they couldn't sell it.Just my 2.6723 cents.Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I'm not rich by any means, but I'd be willing to use synthetic if I would get even a marginal benefit.

My diesel mechanic previous owner is a pretty darn knowledgable guy, and it was his view - also based with his conversations with people who took apart engines for a living - that synthetic actually didn't provide as MUCH protection.

He said that synthetic was THE best for gears, but not for engines.

Based on what you guys are saying, conventional oil (Castrol 20/50) it is.

What are you guys using for the chrome and the paint?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:23 PM

Even if i was rich (and i'm not) i don't get into all those 'wiz bang' cleaning chemicals and 'special' solutions. People have given me samples of all that kind of stuff and i always go back to hot/warm water with dishwashing soap and a cloth that wont scratch and that is what i still use with very satisfying results.

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Sadly, when they said "cash" I thought they said "rash" and made sure to stay away.

Had the same problem when they were handing out brains. Really need to get my hearing checked.

That said, I'll pay more for stuff that works BETTER. I'll even pay more (although not as much more) for stuff that works EASIER.

What I really hate doing is paying more for stuff that works worse just because I was a sucker and I believed another lying rat bastard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode