Looking for Roadliner/Stratoliner VIN decoder - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Looking for Roadliner/Stratoliner VIN decoder

I saw a link to decode the VIN of my Roadliner and got almost nothing (just the year, make, model and engine size).

I'd like to find the full decoder for the VIN, such that I could possibly learn the month of its production, etc.

Has anyone come across such a trove?

It shouldn't be that hard. Here's an example for the Honda Valkyrie:
http://www.rattlebars.com/rp/rpage02.html

We're squared away like that, right???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comeback, Ten Twelve.

I found stuff like that (googling yamaha vin decoder/ing). I'm looking to go a little deeper. I'd like to find something that explains what every single letter/digit stands for.

In particular, I'd like to find out which month of 2007 my bike was built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM

Actually date of assembly is on the frame not far from the VIN plate.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

TenTwelve,

Thanks.

I just found out my bike was made on August '06 (8/06). Given that I was hoping that it was made in late '07 to perchance avoid this "3rd gear failing" issue, I was a little bummed.

My bike is not making any noises in any gear at this point. But I'd sure rather not have even any RUMORS of a problem.

I read that the issue affects 06 and early 07 models. I've also only seen a few people complaining of the issue, with the same people complaining using the exact same words in more than one forum (including this forum).

I also read that the issue stems from the use of sintered rather than cast gears. So my next quest will be to learn when Yamaha ceased using sintered gears in the Roadliners.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm sure that will prove to be bit challenging. Good luck. I think I'm good on the 3rd gear issue but, I think my lifters are dying.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

I don't want any issues or "deaths" on my bike. Particuarly given that I just bought the thing.

Other than that I read it's "out there," I have no reason to think there are any problems with this motorcycle re: the gears or anything else.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Third Gear issue, I know someone had a list going. But keeping the YES in place keeps that expense out of your pocket lower. But when its gone just be sure to do solid shifts, not power shifting into third.
TenTwelve, lifters dying, semi-syn oil (basically yamalube) staying in the heavier 20/50's. I know some on forums like lucas added to there oil, I haven't needed it or use it as my regular day... but I love using Marvel Mystery Oil few ounces every few tanks of gas, and as my winter gas stabilizer... keeps gas good and carbon off valves. Good Luck with the valves.

Ride Safe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Well, I've only done the first (600 mile) oil change and I used Yamalube 20/50. Never hear of Mystery oil.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Not to jack, but the lifters... lil important...
yamalube seems to be best(dealer cure) for those with lifter issue..(collapsing) Marvel Mystery Oil, been around forever... use to run it at those engine shows, small engine cut in half running no oil... just marvel oil soaked on it before so they say... i use it in gas to keep carbon clean from motor and in gas as stabilizer instead of stabil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode