Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Is this a good phone mount?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jaymann 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Some people swear by the RAM mounts, but I think they're sort of a waste at $50. I don't think you need to spend a lot of money for a decent phone holder, but that one you linked to looks like a really bad choice to me.

There is no real lateral tension. Those ratcheting arms are usually insufficient at best, and the foam they use will fall apart in no time.

I've been using these mounts all season and they've been amazing. I picked them for cost, but also because they're flexible enough for any orientation and they have non-slip, rubberized pads at the points of contact. Plus the spring loaded claws come around so that the phone can't just tip out forward and fall out.

They're of a sufficient size that they'll hold my Galaxy S3 mini, my wife's Galaxy S4, and my Garmin Nuvi 50LM. I've put more than 16,000 miles on my bikes since April, and have had at least one expensive electronic device in one of these every single mile.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA892IS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#4 ·
I bought that exact one at a toy run last weekend for $25!
It grips well to the bars.
As for the phone mount, it works. I'm still in the "worried I'll lose my phone" stage but it holds pretty well. You can rotate the holder to whatever orientation works for you, but I prefer upright because of the little legs that support the phone at the bottom.

I did discover that if you squeeze too tight on the phone clamps, it jumps the teeth on the ratchet and loosens off. Sometimes the clamps end up off center, but I just squeeze them closed and open them again and it's all good.

For $7 and free shipping I'd get 2!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.