Stratoliner windshield and fuel mileage - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Stratoliner windshield and fuel mileage

With the Stratoliner bags and sissy bar, my Roadliner is a Stratoliner without a shield.

I want a shield, and while I could get an aftermarket one a LOT cheaper, I'd kind of like to keep the "Stratoliner" theme going.

While I look for a good deal to pounce on, though, I've got a question about shields and fuel economy.

I know (or at least THINK I know) that a racing fairing can increase fuel mileage by reducing wind resistance. But the Stratoliner is more of a snowplough than a feat of aerodynamic wizardry.

Has anyone added a stock Strato shield (or heck, just a similar shield) to a Roadliner? What happened to your mileage?

For the record, while the Strato shield doesn't look very aerodynamic, it turns out that my big carcass isn't particularly aerodynamic either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 AM

I don't know about windshields but i thing batwing fairings can increase mileage.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Windshields on sport bikes are just extensions of the front fairings and do improve aerodynamics because the rider can tuck down behind it, rider's posture on a cruiser, not so much. I've never compared gas milage of with the windshied against without. I doubt there is any appreciable amount of difference. Without the windshield, the wind is plowed by me, with the windshield, IT deals with it more than I do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM

The milage is the same with or without a shield
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
the wind is plowed by me
Good to hear you're plowing something.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post

That's what blue bikes do best.

In fact if you look under the seat on any of them you won't find Yamaha information; all you'll see is the "New Holland" manufacturing data...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
Yep, it's what I do!
CHA-CHING$$

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Yep, it's what I do!
CHA-CHING$$
Damn I'am glad I don"t have one of those anymore since I retired to No. Calif from Bayfield Co., do not have to shovel rain or sunshine.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 AM

I have the Roadliner, and seem to get just as crappy mileage with or without the windshield. I only put it on for trips that take me at least 200 miles round trip or more. I don't like how the windshield looks on my bike. I'm thinking about cutting it down about 4-5" maybe little more, but don't really want to risk cracking such an expensive piece of plastic. I guess I should find out if anyone has the short shield and wants the medium instead....
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Midnight View Post
I have the Roadliner, and seem to get just as crappy mileage with or without the windshield. I only put it on for trips that take me at least 200 miles round trip or more. I don't like how the windshield looks on my bike. I'm thinking about cutting it down about 4-5" maybe little more, but don't really want to risk cracking such an expensive piece of plastic. I guess I should find out if anyone has the short shield and wants the medium instead....
You can cut it yourself, it was easy! Do a search on here, I posted the "How To" on here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode