I need wiring help. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I need wiring help.

I have a 05 Road Star. Just bought a Chatter Box Drone Security system. I need to find a 12V "Switched" Wire for the ignition AND a 12V "Starter" wire. I think the "switched" wire is the heavy ga. Medium Blue wire. I cannot figure out the "Starter" wire. They both seem like the same wire to me, but obviously they must be different.

I would like to get them both up front under the gas tank near the plug in's just under the instrument panel. There are 2 of these plugs that seem to be the easiest place to get these 2 wires.

Also, If anyone knows of a quick plug-n-go splice for this, that would be even quicker and better than cutting wires.

Any help will be appreciated - Thanks
RoadStarBill is online now Report Post

Last edited by RoadStarBill; 12-22-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: JOB IS DONE - DON'T BUY ONE !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Goggle posi taps, they come in different sizes and you don't have to cut or strip any wires. Just get the right size for the wire you want to tap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Power

Bill,

Looks like you should be able to get the switched power from the fuse blocks. I think only the main fuse is not switched. Looking at the drawing looks like your wire is Brown with a blue stripe. In the manual Br is brown and L is blue.

Wonder if the starter button wire would work for the starter?

Here is a link to Paul Milner site for an on line manual.

http://www.paulmilner.com/

If you don't get a good answer here in the Road Liner group post in the Road Star group up the page.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

JOB IS DONE - DON'T BUY ONE. Seemed nice, but I can sit on it, move it 10 feet, rock it and nothing happens. It will only alarm if I use my own key to start it after I have set the alarm. It will NOT alarm from motion !!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 PM

So you want the alarm to be switched on when your bike is switched off? Did they give you a relay of a fet or is something built in to your system to do this?
It sounds to me like you should have a fused circuit comming of your battery going into some type of switch to provide power when the key is off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadStarBill View Post
JOB IS DONE - DON'T BUY ONE. Seemed nice, but I can sit on it, move it 10 feet, rock it and nothing happens. It will only alarm if I use my own key to start it after I have set the alarm. It will NOT alarm from motion !!!
If you're using a switched power source for the alarm power that means the alarm is only on when the switched power is on. Like, when the key is turned.

An alarm should be powered by the battery, and if there's switched power involved, it's typically used so that the switched line causes the system to turn off, not on. (i.e., you turn the key, power goes to the relay, and doesn't allow the system to arm while the key's in it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode