How do you treat scuffs on your leather Strat saddlebags? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

How do you treat scuffs on your leather Strat saddlebags?

Have a couple of boot scuffs on my bags.

The guy I bought the bike from believed the bags to be "naugahyde." But being the kind of guy who investigates things I have discovered that, nope, they are genuine leather coverings.

What kind of genuine leather, or how to care for them (especially buffing/polishing out scuffs) has been considerably more elusive.

What products and maintenance tricks have been successful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Bags

Michaeld,

If you have deep scuffs I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. I have a couple of small ones that are just there.

Cleaning the bags with sadlesoap or Murphey's Oil soap might bring some of it out. Then use Doc Bailey's Leather Black to restore the color. My bags were looking dull. I cleaned them then used Doc Bailey's Leather Black. They looked new, except the little dents into the leather from dropping it in gravel. I see it in most motorcycle leather shops.

By the way Yamaha recommends Mink Oil. I have also used that with good success.

Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Liner Dave,

Thanks a lot. I truly appreciate it.

My original owner has been using Turtle Wax Super Protectant because he thought it was artificial leather. He gave me the rest of his bottle - and I bought a new bottle of the stuff myself.

It'll still be great for the seats.

I'll let the Turtle Wax stuff "dry out" and then start using Mink Oil.

I don't have anything "deep." Most of it is boot scuffs.

I always wear a large knee brace on my left knee when I ride, and often wear braces on both knees. That makes it quite a bit harder to swing my leg over the high sissy bar and the bags. I say bad words every time I've felt my foot make contact with those bags.

I realized if I was going to do anything about the problem I'd have to start by finding out what the darn bags were even made of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Dr Bailey's leather black

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Michaeld,

If you have deep scuffs I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. I have a couple of small ones that are just there.

Cleaning the bags with sadlesoap or Murphey's Oil soap might bring some of it out. Then use Doc Bailey's Leather Black to restore the color. My bags were looking dull. I cleaned them then used Doc Bailey's Leather Black. They looked new, except the little dents into the leather from dropping it in gravel. I see it in most motorcycle leather shops.

By the way Yamaha recommends Mink Oil. I have also used that with good success.

Dave
Dave is right. Dr Baileys leather black can make your bags look BETTER than new. it will also make the leather waterproof. if you have scratches that have that rough tore look i have read that you can sand it smooth but you are supposed to put some kind of leather "glue" on then the leather gets hard and you can sand the scuff smooth. i haven't used the dr baileys but my brother has. he had a couple bad scuffs. after the leather black they looked like new but if you looked hard you could find the scuffs. my plan it to apply the dr B and then sand the scuff, then reapply Dr B leather black to hide the sanding. very fine sand paper by the way. search the web.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

I use mink oil on mine. About 3 times per season. Not quite a spit-shine, but who can tell at 70 mph?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Try black shoe polish. That's what I used on my Mustang seat. Made the scuffs practically disappear... I just had to polish the crap out of it because I didn't want any black "skidmarks" on my blue jeans! Hahaha
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Midnight View Post
I didn't want any black "skidmarks" on my blue jeans! Hahaha
Don't blame you, but brown skidmarks on your skivies are a bit more embarassin
(it has been reported, those can be removed in the head, with warm soapy water and a scrub brush)

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 12-02-2011 at 08:54 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 AM

Or oxiclean! Haha Billy Mays wasn't a liar, that stuff works!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 AM

I have my underwear color coded to ensure I don't put them on backwards when I'm not quite awake in the morning, it's yellow in the front, brown in the back.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

underwear???? what's underwear???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode