WTF??!! - HELP with engine drain bolts - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

WTF??!! - HELP with engine drain bolts

2010 Stratoliner Deluxe....

Ok ...what are the home mechanics doing to get those two 17mm oil drain bolts out of the engine bottom?...i mean, a socket won't fit (not enough depth clearance)...and even having the bike up on the lift, it is so f**k'n hard ot get thre wrench to loosen them....help !

papa d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

Without a lift I understand the problem. With it up on a lift I don't see how you might have such a tough time. I just use a standard length 17mm box wrench. I start to loosen it by getting the opposite end of the wrench pointing at about the 7:00 or 8:00 position then with some hand pressure on the wrench, tap the end of the wrench with a lixie hammer. Wicked easy!

Last edited by stratowart; 11-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM

Make 2 x 10 ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D View Post

2010 Stratoliner Deluxe....

Ok ...what are the home mechanics doing to get those two 17mm oil drain bolts out of the engine bottom?...i mean, a socket won't fit (not enough depth clearance)...and even having the bike up on the lift, it is so f**k'n hard ot get thre wrench to loosen them....help !

papa d
I bought a lift. it was great for tire changes but a pain for changing oil . it seemed one of the forks were under a bolt no matter what. i ended up making some 2 x 10 ramps. i just cut a 2 x 10 board so it had a gentle ramp angle on two of the boards and the third goes under the side stand. the bike is now high enough to get at all the bolts with a box end wrench and you can fit a standard drain pan under the bike with no intererance from anything. screw a 2 x 4 to the end of the 2x10 so it will stop you if you drive to far.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Drains

I mostly do as The Brain. I lay three 2 x 10's on the floor and ride up on top. One under each wheel and one for the kickstand. That gives me an extra inch and half to turn the wrench.

I have seen some buy some stubby wrenches at sears.

Dave
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Without a lift I understand the problem. With it up on a lift I don't see how you might have such a tough time. I just use a standard length 17mm box wrench.

+1

I bought a table jack from JC Whitney ($125). You can get the bike chassis up far enough to use a standard 17mm box end without even having to life the wheels off the ground.

Don't forget to replace the crush washers on the reservoir and crankcase drains every so often.

As others have pointed out, using almost any kind of lift or jack will require at least one reposition during the drain evolution. If you resign yourself to that, then the oil change will simply be a PITA instead of an alcoholic binge occasion...(although...there's something to be said for that...)

Nonetheless, I have often and fervently wished the engineers who designed the drain system would contract the most vicious STD on the planet
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:33 PM

I did it in my driveway with nothing lifting the bike. I used a stubby 17mm wrench and a regular one. When I couldn't crank on one of them hard enough I tapped it with a rubber mallet. It was pretty easy.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:07 PM

I am due for my first oil change since buying the bike....looked things over, and I am going to put the bike in gear with the handlebars turned to the left, and lean the bike against the garage wall on the throttle side with a slight lean to the right. Which will give me plenty of room to remove the drain bolts on the left side of the crankcase, and drain most of the oil. Put the bike back on the sidestand, remove the drain plug for the oil tank, and let everything drain. Virtually all of the oil will drain with the bike being leaned each direction, re-installl the drain plugs, fill it with oil, check the level, and ride.

It is a rather simple procedure and not as complicated as it appears.

That is the plan for me at this time.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Shorty wrench

From local hardware store, large flat like a cake pan form somewhere other than the wifes kitchen. Empty the tank the empty the pan or empty the two front and empty the pan. That gallon of oil out of the tank and the two front drains fills a flat pan to the brim. I did mine on a lift the first time, then got a shorty wrench and just did it off the floor, I like the 2x10s idea
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
2x6's under tires and kickstand,stubby 17mm wrench,warm garage and cold beer priceless.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post

It is a rather simple procedure and not as complicated as it appears.

That is the plan for me at this time.

...and may the force be with you, as well

Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode