Thanks hardware man - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Angry Thanks hardware man

Got a McHitch no bolts included it was used, got it to go on but needed the longer bolts that came with a new unit. Took two of the shorter bolts with me one back bolt for the saddle bags and then the next one forward incase they were different lengths. Got new longer bolts. Was lining everything up and jiggling things inplace, got the bolts to get pushed all the way in. Started tightening things and front ones were a little hard but it was just an allen wrench, just thought they were new and sticky were dirt is roaming. got the front two tight and the back two were not as tight. Then the bolt under the fender started turning, I am thinking cross threaded but how???? So I pulled the front one it came out okay. Went to look at the back one again okay so for a ride today lets get three tightened. Working on the last back one the other side started spinning. under the fender. WTF WTF. So pulled one front one. WRONG THREADS, THANKS HARDWARE GUY!!!!!! Now what and how to get the two bolts out and the bolts under the fender? Should I go to court? GGGGRRR Thanks for suggestions. My ability wasn't tested here it was the hardware guy. So any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

I'd really and truly like to offer some brilliant solution, but quite frankly you lost me with "sticky were dirt is roaming".
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

the nuts under the rear fender

Just thought it was some dirt in them making them tighter. So the back two nuts holding the back rest and the bags are spinning and the next one forward that holds the front of the back rest is maybe stcuk and won't come undone on one side only. I got one of the wrong thread ones out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM

So as a cliffs notes, you forced some bolts with the wrong thread into someplace they weren't intended to go. Did you strip the bolts, or the threaded holes?

Always, always, always...if it isn't threading easily, check to make sure its the right size and pitch.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Well, as long as you have somebody else to blame, but most people would know if you can't thread several turns with your fingers then you must assume the bolt size is wrong or the thread pitch is incorrect. Sorry, I'm not going to condem the alleged hardware guy.

I think all you can do now is drill out and tap for the next size bigger bolt. But please don't blame me if that doesn't work out.

Last edited by stratowart; 11-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

finger tight to start through

bag frame, hitch frame, three washers for the quick connect backrest the fender and then the bolt needs way more pressure than putting on the tag. It started and went four turns then spun the under fender nuts. The front set went tight with the wrong threads. I two foot break over and cheater I did not have it was an allen wrench 5 inches long.
I took two of the bolts to the store with me, kind of thought he might know his hardware.
Will check and get the drill and tap. I may try and get the wrong ones out and fix that.
Just wanted help not holier than thou!!

Thanks
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM

hey man....s**t happens....try your best to get em out with further chewing up....then tap new threads...one thing is to consider is make sure you have plenty of working space to do all this...if some parts need to come off to do it, then do so.....you don't want to frustrate yourself again.....

breath in..breath out...breath in...br...........
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

You're welcome my son! Now go forth and screw.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Now go forth and screw.

I think that's another thread...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I think that's another thread...
Is there another one about a female stripper?

Last edited by stratowart; 11-27-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode