Exhaust Questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Questions

Hi,

I have an 09 Roadliner and love my new bike. I have a BAK on order and am not sure if I should change out the exhaust. I have a few questions:

1. I was looking at the Hard Krome exhaust system. Would I have to remove emissions items? Would I fail emission when I put the new pipes on? What happens to the O2 sensor?

2. Will I lose performance because of less back pressure? I was actually looking at the 2.5" pipes and they are doubled wall so the smaller pipes may help...

3. I guess the new pipes don't have heat shields so are the pipes noticeably hotter?

4. Would I lose any torque? I know a slip on probably would be the best choice but I really like the look of dual exhausts and want to get rid of the stock fart can.

Last edited by traderfjp; 12-12-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

1. not if you don't live in CA. if the hard krome you're looking at has an O2 sensor plug into it, then you're just replacing an apple with an apple and it will plug into your ECU just like your stock pipes. if it doesn't, it's not a big deal. your ECU just wouldn't be as accurate in its fuel mixture w/o O2 readings

2. you will probably lose some low-end torque if this hard krome set doesn't come with baffles, but you can add baffles or exhaust torque tubes if you are bothered by the change in the performance curve. at 2.5", you won't lose that much though. the new exhaust should give you more overall horsepower and more mid-range and high-end torque. HK makes a 3" set as well.

3. yeah they will be hotter. you can buy universal or part specific heat shields to guard your legs if you need to

4. see #2
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thannks for the info. I also did some leg work today. You're correct about the exhaust having a 02 bung. I was also told that the exhaust is a pipe inside a pipe so essentially the whole exhaust is shielded. The exhaust I was looking at has baffles but they are built in and can't be changed out and they are known for being very loud. I was looking at Hard Krome Classic Straights in a 2.5" pipe. I'm thinking I may be better off with a Cobra exhaust. I really don't want an exhaust that is too loud but want the look of the double pipe. All the reviews on Cobra are that they are louder than stock but not too loud. Everyone who reviewed the Hard Krome commented that tehy are a very loud pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 AM

We do not have emission testing in CA for motorcycles... Yet. Hope it doesn't happen because I changed out my stock pipes for the Yamaha Speedstar pipes. I really like their sound, and don't find them to be too loud. That all depends on your opinion, though. The pipes have a spot to put the o2 sensor back in.
If what I have read is true, adding pipes and a BAK necessitates a fuel programmer.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to keep my stock exhaust for now and just and the BAK which is on its way. I bought it from leatherup for 173.00 with a holiday coupon. Anyway, the plan is to add the BAK and try the factory ECU reset and see what happens. I really want to get a custom paint job so I need funds for that and will get the pipes later. Honestly, I like the look of the double pipe but they are still pretty boring compared to say the exhaust that comes stock with the Raider. I guess to keep the passenger pegs where they are the type of pipes being made are limited.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Factory ECU reset...? How's that done?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I've never done it but I read that you remove both leads from the battery for 15 minutes and when you put the cables back on the computer resets and will re-learn the correct fuel settings for your bike. If the bike runs lean to begin with it should be better but still on the lean side.

Last edited by traderfjp; 12-13-2011 at 04:59 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

With a BAK and the stock exhaust I may not need a fuel processor. I'll see how it runs and then go from there.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Well I already changed out the battery on my bike, and it gets just as terrible mileage as before. Coming home from los angeles couple nights ago, doing 85mph on the freeway, no traffic, I only got 25.5mpg. My corolla gets about 32/33mpg at that speed. The absolutely highest mpg I have gotten on this bike is still under 40mpg.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Midnight View Post
Well I already changed out the battery on my bike, and it gets just as terrible mileage as before. Coming home from los angeles couple nights ago, doing 85mph on the freeway, no traffic, I only got 25.5mpg. My corolla gets about 32/33mpg at that speed. The absolutely highest mpg I have gotten on this bike is still under 40mpg.
I'm not quite sure how to put this, but you did look at the engine before you bought the bike, right? Anything north of 1800 cc's isn't going to return great fuel mileage.

If you're looking for 50+ miles per gallon, buy a smaller bike. I'm not trying to be a dick but its the truth.

And for what it's worth, I see around 40mpg pretty consistently unless I'm really romping on it, then I drop into the mid 30's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode