Rear Fender Strut Bolts - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Rear Fender Strut Bolts

Hi All, I am new to the Yamaha Roadliner and I am having a little trouble. I have a 2006 Roadliner Midnight that I bought used. The bike has throw over saddle bags that I do not like with bag supports. Today I tried to remove the saddle bag supports and I ran into one problem on the very rear fender support bolts. When I was removing the very rear bolts (towards the taillights) I used a 12mm spanner and the left side bolt was a little more stubborn than the others and I stripped the outer edge of the nut under the fender. There is only about a 1/4 of the nut bearly sticking out and is now stripped. Any ideas on how to remove this?

Thanks for your help.
OCRoadie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Sounds like you will be getting real friendly with your drill that might be the only way to get it off now


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

03 V Star 650 Classic
SgtCuts is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtCuts View Post
Sounds like you will be getting real friendly with your drill that might be the only way to get it off now


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Thanks Sgtcuts,
There seems to be a little bracket where the bolt is located under the fender with a gap, I am hoping that a thin 12mm wrench will fit in that gap. I am wondering how others may have taken the rear fender off and how they got a spanner on those bolts.

Thanks again.
OCRoadie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,088
I was thinking that those nuts are welded in place to the underside of the fender. Perhaps the PO broke them off and put loose nuts on as a replacement???

It is hard for me to fully imagine a picture of what your describing ??



stratowart is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 122
I wonder if an easy out would work. I would call an auto parts store and see what they say. I also wanted to remove my rear struts but loctite has a serious hold on the ones closes to the front of the bike. Has anyone tried heat. I'm worried about screwing up the chrome.
traderfjp is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redneck Minnesota
Posts: 396
use of heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post
I wonder if an easy out would work. I would call an auto parts store and see what they say. I also wanted to remove my rear struts but loctite has a serious hold on the ones closes to the front of the bike. Has anyone tried heat. I'm worried about screwing up the chrome.
i believe you can carefully heat the loctite with a heat gun or small propane torch. the loctite breaks down around 350 - 500 deg. you should be able to find this info on the net. this low heat wont ruin anything if you are careful.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
TheBrain is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
i believe you can carefully heat the loctite with a heat gun or small propane torch. the loctite breaks down around 350 - 500 deg. you should be able to find this info on the net. this low heat wont ruin anything if you are careful.
Thanks Brain, I think there is an inner fender support that holding the rear fender strut nut in place. This is the reason only a part of the nut is accessable but also allows for a very thin 12mm spanner to fit between in outer and inner fender. I will try the heat though. The PO may have over tighten the nut. I was able to get the right side off with no problem but the left side rear is giving me a problem.
I don't have the factory service manual yet but it's on order.

Thanks again.
OCRoadie is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRoadie View Post
Thanks Brain, I think there is an inner fender support that holding the rear fender strut nut in place. This is the reason only a part of the nut is accessable but also allows for a very thin 12mm spanner to fit between in outer and inner fender. I will try the heat though. The PO may have over tighten the nut. I was able to get the right side off with no problem but the left side rear is giving me a problem.
I don't have the factory service manual yet but it's on order.

Thanks again.
Just an update, I purchased a set of thin flat metric open ended wrenches and this did the trick. If anyone ever has to remove the back fender rail bolts, there is an inner fender support that holds the nut in place. You have to be very careful when removing these nuts. The thin wrenches were able to slip between the fender and inner fender while I used a allen wrench on the rail bolt.
Thanks again for everyones help.
OCRoadie is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 189
I had problems with one of my fender bolts too. Turned it into a 2 person job to clean up the threads on that nut. My buddy held a tap from the inside while I turned the nut with a 12mm wrench, little by little, and afterwards it all worked just fine. Must have overtightened that bolt a lil bit when I installed the saddlebags...
08Midnight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome