Gas Tank Chrome Trim - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Gas Tank Chrome Trim

I would like to remove the chrome gas tank grill on my 06 Stratoliner Midnight. I see that there is a allen bolt holding the trim on the frame neck, is this the only piece that holds the trim in place? Does anyone know if the trim on the tank is held on with adhesive? I think I would perfer a clean look on the gas tank.
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Careful--that chrome piece covers up alot and its not good looking under there. There is some electrical wiring that is covered by the chrome piece. I also think there are connections for the sppedo, clock cluster.
There are 2 additional bolts at the front by the neck of the frame. Those must be removed also. The seat will have to be removed when you lift the chrome piece.
If you remove those three bolts carefully lift up on the chrome piece and peek underneath so you can see what is there before you start stripping pieces off.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM

There is another fastener on the side of the tank closest to the frame.
You have to remove the gas tank to get them removed. As far as wires, there aren't any wires under the plastic chrome tank grills.
I did a home mod and I made custom neck covers and re-used the units that attached to the neck only.
Here's my bike with the chrome tanks units removed.
IMO it looks way better.
JMO
Swomack

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/55a42a82.jpg

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/e48a345e.jpg

It's All About The Ride

Last edited by Swomack; 01-16-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM

My bad-I thought you were trying to remove the chrome panel that holds the speedo, etc.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swomack View Post
There is another fastener on the side of the tank closest to the frame.
You have to remove the gas tank to get them removed. As far as wires, there aren't any wires under the plastic chrome tank grills.
I did a home mod and I made custom neck covers and re-used the units that attached to the neck only.
Here's my bike with the chrome tanks units removed.
IMO it looks way better.
JMO
Swomack

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/55a42a82.jpg

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...3/e48a345e.jpg
Thanks Swomack, your bike looks great. I think the shape of the gas tank is better looking than a Harleys and the chrome grill cheapens the look (JMO). Keeping the chrome teeth looks really good on the frame neck. Your bike I think sets the bar for a custom Roadliner-Sweet!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshimkus View Post
My bad-I thought you were trying to remove the chrome panel that holds the speedo, etc.
LOL, that's okay....you made me stop and think about what I was doing. Which is always good when stripping parts off.
Thanks for your help.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanks Swomack, your bike looks great. I think the shape of the gas tank is better looking than a Harleys and the chrome grill cheapens the look (JMO). Keeping the chrome teeth looks really good on the frame neck. Your bike I think sets the bar for a custom Roadliner-Sweet!

Thanks for the kind words about my sled.
I'm honored.
Swomack

It's All About The Ride
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM

A head gun on a low setting and some fishing string should get the chrome pieces off. I also think the tank looks much better with the chrome pieces gone.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM

I notice some people recommend using fishing line--I have also found good results with dental floss. I think the dental floss is softer on the paint and thinner. I have removed some items using the dental floss and had very little of the 3M double stick tape left behind.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshimkus View Post
I notice some people recommend using fishing line--I have also found good results with dental floss. I think the dental floss is softer on the paint and thinner. I have removed some items using the dental floss and had very little of the 3M double stick tape left behind.
Thanks, I've used dental floss as well. I had a Vulcan 1600 and removed the tank badges with DF and then used Goof Off to remove any residue. Also a good liberal wax job afterwords, Goof Off is pretty harsh stuff. Doing this type of removal is also better on a warm day.....well, that's going to be a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode