Yamaha short windshield- - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Question Yamaha short windshield-

I am looking for a small windshield for my daily highway commute. I can't stand the look of them so I always go for the smaller types which still offer some protection, it also needs to be a quick release item so I can take it off immediately for my weekend fun.

I was wondering if any of you had ever tried the Yamaha short (15-3/8") shield?

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/asset...-00-gp-500.jpg

If so would you recommend it? If you still have it do you have any pics of it on your Roadliner? Any better alternative?

Thank you.
-Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM

I wrestled with the same thing last winter. I ended up finding a guy nearby on craigslist that sold me one from his strat with the locking gizmo for 200 bucks. Then I had to go to the dealership and spend another 200 bucks for the chrome mounting things that bolt onto your forks. Mine's a medium and it's really big even though I'm just over 6' tall. I was thinking about getting a short one too because they look alot better. However, I ride on the interstate alot during my daily commute so I'm concerned about how much wind protection the shorty provides. Let me know how things work out for you.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:57 AM

Roadliner Windshield

Scaramouche. I've got the small windshield on my roadliner. Works well for me and I think it looks ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadliner 2009.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1383  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouche View Post
I am looking for a small windshield for my daily highway commute. I can't stand the look of them so I always go for the smaller types which still offer some protection, it also needs to be a quick release item so I can take it off immediately for my weekend fun.

I was wondering if any of you had ever tried the Yamaha short (15-3/8") shield?

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/asset...-00-gp-500.jpg

If so would you recommend it? If you still have it do you have any pics of it on your Roadliner? Any better alternative?

Thank you.
-Rick
I have the short yamaha windshield..No hardware, just the shield..more then happy to let you have it for 50$ plus shipping..its in perfect shape, no scratches,(But no hardware comes with it)Had to but hardware on yam med shield... Let me know always looking to help a fellow rider
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfandsand View Post
I wrestled with the same thing last winter. I ended up finding a guy nearby on craigslist that sold me one from his strat with the locking gizmo for 200 bucks. Then I had to go to the dealership and spend another 200 bucks for the chrome mounting things that bolt onto your forks. Mine's a medium and it's really big even though I'm just over 6' tall. I was thinking about getting a short one too because they look alot better. However, I ride on the interstate alot during my daily commute so I'm concerned about how much wind protection the shorty provides. Let me know how things work out for you.
You can always cut your windshield to make it shorter, it's simple, I cut almost 5 inches off the top of the Stratoliner's stock windshield. Now I look over the top of the windshield and the wind protection is still good (it was never "great" to begin with). I'm 6 foot tall.

Here it is with the cut down windshield:

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

wow what a sweet pic. all the little sparkly things. i wonder if the blue paint may be slowing it down, though
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Banned

Thanks Bevo, the blue paint doesn't seem to slow it down at all. In fact I believe the sparkle is just the light's way of celebrating for finally catching up with my bike when I come to a stop.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Thanks Bevo, the blue paint doesn't seem to slow it down at all. In fact I believe the sparkle is just the light's way of celebrating for finally catching up with my bike when I come to a stop.
Yeaqh, actually that's the light slamming into after you finally manage to wrestle that blue beast to a stop.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
Yeaqh, actually that's the light slamming into after you finally manage to wrestle that blue beast to a stop.
SEE! Another guy with a blue bike with the SAME thing happening. I don't know what Yamaha uses for blue paint but it makes the bike wicked faster. You guys with "lesser" colors need to strip off your paint and get this blue paint, it's AMAZING!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM

I don't know how you found a stock blue bike... not a popular color it seems... I couldn't fine one

06 Stratoliner S - far from stock
08 Lexus ISF
04 4runner
06 Lexus IS350
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode