Dumb Question from a Novice - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Dumb Question from a Novice

So, looking at Linbars for my recently purchased bike . I consider myself fairly handy, but have never worked, for example, with sockets around shiny chome... Sockets and general tools with chrome, in my jeep days, amounted to scratched paint every time I took the bolts off the doors (bolts were painted black gloss). What's the advice before I tear into something related to chrome? Thanks
http://s598.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=100_0177.jpg
and

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read...

Last edited by SkipM; 01-24-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling and photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM

That's not a dumb question !

First of all, I have the same crash bars on my Strat !
you just use decent 6 point sockets on the nuts used for the install, you won't have to be taking them off much so you will be just fine, just use the right sized socket, the nuts may be hard chromed, my bar is black powder coat for a good reason. But all the chrome parts are fine. I don't know what bike you are gettting but most have a pretty good chrome on the parts. And you can always replace the hardware if you do mess it up oneday. Go for it !

My Strat S is the Chrome monster, so I went with black on most of the addon's, and it paid off, as I have scraped the bars a few times, it appears slightly lower than the foot boards, So touch up with a spray can is the way I cure the minor road rash on the protective bars.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipM View Post
What's the advice before I tear into something related to chrome?
be careful.

may want to place a towel or shirt around any parts where you have to stick a wrench or a bolt could possible fall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Banned

Using sockets that are in very good condition should be your only concern and make sure the socket is fully engaged onto the head of the bolt/nut. A layer or two of painters tape can be used on the bolt head or nut but would be overkill but might give you peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode