Headlight Relay - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Relay

Unfortunately my Roadliner didn't come with a manual and the PDF file I have doesn't have the info so I'm turning to my fellow Liner owners. Does anyone know if a generic relay can be used for the headlight or by any chance does anyone have a part number for an OEN headlight relay? Started installing my HID kit. Got everything hooked up and the HID bulb will light up briefly but cut off so I'm thinking I need a relay and will possibly do some rewiring. Any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

By "cut off" do you mean you are blowing a fuse?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

No. The fuse isn't blowing the bulb will flicker then stop illuminating. I'm gonna double check my grounds tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
5VK-81950-30-00 This is the yamaha relay part #.I'm no electrical guru by no means but the hid kit should have come with all the relays for the lights to work.It should be a stand a lone system all but the head lamp input.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

Okay Tex, good luck.
Can you also describe what you did to add HID lighting?
Is it just a main headlight bulb swap, or are you adding HID passing lights etc ?
The application doesn't sound like a relay is needed because HID lights tend to require lower amperage for the watt equivalent of regular headlamp bulbs.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey Stratowart. I purchased a complete HID kit with ballast and bulb. After talking to the dealer I need the HID relay harness bc of the "maze" wiring that voltage goes thru on motorcycles. A lot of times voltage is lost by the time it reaches the HID bulb. True once it is on it uses less than your normal halogen bulb but it uses more wattage to "jump start" the HID bulb. So on my way to pick up my harness won't be able to work on the bike till tomorrow but will post pics and details for those interested. Have to get it all fixed by Friday so I can go riding with some good folks to the Great American Motorcycle Show here in Atlanta.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Banned

Okay, I just learned something today. I didn't realize the HID's required a ballast, which, due to the added resistance alone (I assume) adds current and the need for a relay.

I look forward to your DIY instructions and the pictures when you have it all down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode