Fan Cooling MOD - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Fan Cooling MOD

I love my 09 Roadliner but when I'm stopped at a traffic light on a warm day or stuck in traffic my legs bake. My brother has a HD and some of these guys are adding fans to their bikes so I thought I would give it a try. I bought an 8" fan that fits nicely under the front of the frame. It throws out some serious CMF's and I can feel a breeze on each side of the bike. I'll have to wait for warmer tems before I try it out and know for sure if it makes a difference. From my testing so far I think it works as expected. Has anyone tried this. If anyone is interested I'll post pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

It looks and sounds like a good idea, how do you control the on/off? Also how is your fender clearance, the front suspension travels more than most people think. please keep us posted during the hot season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury liner View Post
It looks and sounds like a good idea, how do you control the on/off? Also how is your fender clearance, the front suspension travels more than most people think. please keep us posted during the hot season.
Hi,

I ran a a wire (computer cord) from the fan and into the housing for the headlamp. There are pre-existing holes for a light bar kit. Inside the housing there is a white connector that is made for the light kit. If you search the liner wiki under light bar there are some great pics of what it looks like in there and the white connector is proudly displayed. I wired my fan into that circuit. The fan is a push pull. It comes configure to blow air in the opposite direction I have it mounted so I reversed the blades and ran it in pull mode which now allows the fan to push air in the direction I want. There is a switch on the handlebars to control the light bar which now controls the fan. I was thinking of wiring it to the battery and then installing a thermostat but decided to keep it simple for now until I see how it works. I need an 80 degree day to really test it out. I bought the fan on Ebay for 25.00 and this little unit seems stout. One caveat is that the circuit shows an output of 40v while the fan is 12v. I ran it for several minutes and the motor didn't get hot so we'll see. Oh yeah ...My fender is off but it looks to have plenty of room. I don't think the fork travel will be an issue either. The fan is about 2" thick.

Last edited by traderfjp; 01-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

You had me thinking about clearance. The fan is 2.5" thick. Right now my tins are out for paint. It would be terrible to put the new tin on and have it scuffed by the fan housing. I hope I the clearance - the fan works very well. I installed an autotune tonight and also played with standing on the sides of the bike and turning the fan on and off. It was throwing some air around, for sure.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM

One of the reasons I mentioned clearance is because i have a cycle sounds mini amp mounted just under my crash bar top center bolt, it is very small but I noticed a slight crease in my fender. I was going crazy trying to figure out how it got there, one big bump sometime last summer. I'm not sure how much travel the front forks have but it was so far apart i would have lost a bet on this one, no way you could have told me it could have made contact. It did, easy fix with my paint-less dent guy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

What is the thickness of the amp you have? I wonder if it would hit with this fender: http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant...Store_Code=AIM
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

that's awesome. would like to know how well it works or if it just blows hot air on you
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Very nice set up.Lets hope your fender clears.I think I've only needed a fan one time on my strat.I got stuck in traffic going through Portland,Oregon one hot summer.I know what you mean about your legs cooking.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:13 PM

I think my amp is 2 inches thick, I would have to check to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode