Keeping the wife happy... and any recommendations on aftermarket exhausts? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Keeping the wife happy... and any recommendations on aftermarket exhausts?

Well it didn't take too long for the wife to find something about my new Stratoliner she didn't like.... the seats.

So after the first real ride on the bike, I searched for replacement seats for the bike and ended up getting the Ultimate 3 piece package. Also added the fold up armrests and passenger floorboards for her heiness. Now she has here own little throne and seems much happier.

I must admit, the Midrider saddle is a huge improvement over the stock seat. So now we are at the $1300 mark for accesories, lets see where it ends.

Now I want a set of pipes. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Congrats on your new liner. Replacing your seat is a great improvement, I replace mine with a Day Long seat and my wife is very happy as well. I put Cobra passenger floorboards and that topped off her comfort. I bought my bike used and it had the competition pipes from Star already on it. They have a nice sound and I have been happy with them.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Explain to her that loud pipes save lives! You could also get her a full face helmet that will help with noise. Oh and a pair of ear plugs.

After that I am out of ideas since his pipes didnt bother me when I was on back and my bike is actually louder then his now. I am a firm beliver in making sure I am seen and heard as much as possible!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Explain to her that loud pipes save lives! You could also get her a full face helmet that will help with noise. Oh and a pair of ear plugs.

After that I am out of ideas since his pipes didnt bother me when I was on back and my bike is actually louder then his now. I am a firm beliver in making sure I am seen and heard as much as possible!
She already has the full face helmet, so that should not be a problem and I agree, to be seen is great, but to be heard is even better.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaswerks View Post
So now we are at the $1300 mark for accesories, lets see where it ends.
tread lightly. for the rabbit hole knows no bottom.

and loud pipes do not save lives. it's a myth and there's no data to prove it does, but there is a lot of data that suggests no correlation between motorcycle accidents and aftermarket pipes. after all, it's more important and easier to be seen than heard by others on the road.

if you're not wanting something loud that might upset her highness, i would suggest a slip-on. they are not going to be as loud as a full exhaust system. and i recommend going to youtube to get an idea of how the various kinds sound. as far as which one, i think it's mostly about what kind of look you want and what kind of growl you want. some of the popular brands out there are Jardin, Cobra, Vance & Hines, Shogun, Rush, Samson, Bub, and Hard Krome.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM

I have the ultimate 3 piece seat also, best thing since sliced bread. Ok, I never had bread that was'nt sliced. I'm a vance&hines fan, both my Strat and Warrior have them. The 2 into 1 on Strat is the sweetest sound, not too loud and plenty of rumble. My Warrior has 2 into 2, much louder but still acceptable. My wife has had the occasional cell phone calls while on the road with no complaints. Oh yeah, don't forget about the improved power of 2 into 1 with no EXUP.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Well my loud pipes have saved my butt a few times. So maybe you just need to know how to use them? They are also nice when the guy on the cell phone decides he is the only important person on the road. Then you hit traffic and his window is down and he is still talking with his phone up to his ear. It feels great to pull up next to him and redline it a few times. Then he looks up and I wink at him and show him I still have my trigger finger (not sure who will get that).

Another idea how about getting her an ipod so she can listen to music. I have it for long rides but dont use it much otherwise.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM

08 strat s vance&hinse 2 into one,great sound great performance,can't go wrong. Bob z
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 AM

check my signature - nice throaty tone!

2008 statoliner midnight
lindby multibar black engine guard
passenger floorboards
luggage rack
black handlebar risers
vance and hinds 2 to 1 exhaust
throttle lock
cell phone mount
scala rider
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM

exhuast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaswerks View Post
Well it didn't take too long for the wife to find something about my new Stratoliner she didn't like.... the seats.

So after the first real ride on the bike, I searched for replacement seats for the bike and ended up getting the Ultimate 3 piece package. Also added the fold up armrests and passenger floorboards for her heiness. Now she has here own little throne and seems much happier.

I must admit, the Midrider saddle is a huge improvement over the stock seat. So now we are at the $1300 mark for accesories, lets see where it ends.

Now I want a set of pipes. Any recommendations?
I have the Roadhouse slip-on muffler and i love it. very reasonable at cruising speed yet will let everyone know there is a big block in the crowd when you twist that grip. she can bellow plenty one minute and be totally mellow the next. i got mine off ebay used for 280.00 looked like new to me. got my mustang seat there too. 420.00 for the front seat and the 12" wide pillion seat. normally 720.00 set. you can find some good deals once in a while.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode