Crash bars - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Crash bars

Without going into the how/why, suffice it to say that my daughter knocked over my Strat. Fortunately, it landed in some boxes and a wire rack rather than straight to the floor. Fortunately, the only thing that happened is the rack put a couple of nice gouges in the windshield that I think I can buff out. Anyhoo, what I'm want to do now, is to install some crash bars that would *hopefully* keep it from going completely horizontal if the bike were to fall where there is nothing to catch it. Having said that, I am currently only aware of the Yamaha "big bars" and Cobra Fattys, but are either of those adequate or would they just fold up under the weight? I would maybe also like to install some "Buck's Lowers" on there. Just looking for some feedback, thanks!

-Chris
2008 Yamaha Stratoliner Midnight (new Nov 2011)
Buck's Lowers | D&D Slip-On | Lindby Black Multibar | Kuryakyn Hwy Pegs | Misc. Bling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM

You might want to look at Lindby bars. I have a set on my Liner and like them a lot. It is a personal thing but I don't like big hoop style crash bars.
Lindy has been an aftermarket manufacturer for crash bars for HD's but have expanded into metrics.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM

I'd say go for the linby bars also.

I put on a set of black powdercoated linby bars with the flat top with foot pads, and a month later while at the end of a long wet raining cold trip, I got almost to my parents carport, and lost the monster in the grass and mud, it only fell over about a 45 degree angle and stopped, I was moving just enough that it plowed up a bunch of grass and mud, and crammed the left foot board up to it's upper limit, nothing hurt, but the bar was bent back about and inch, washed the mud off and kicked the bar back away from the boards, got home the following week, and took the bar off and straightened it out with a torch/rosebud tip, got it nice and then repainted the scraped bottom edge. So in the first month, it paid for itself with a no damage to the bike oops. I did know that heavy bikes going down a sloped driveway across the grass can be a pain once in awhile lol ! Oh and I was pitched off to the left side, full leathers all wet, I just rolled out and looked back at the bike, and it was just sitting there halfway to the ground. From that angle, it was easy to pick it back up. I know I would have damaged something if the bars had not been there, such as the fairing, mirror, saddle bags.
I came out good this time. I am planning on the saddle bag roll bars soon also.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM

i bought a brand new el'cheapo set off eBay. far cheaper than Yamaha big bars but they are not the quality either. the plating is suspect. seems soft like it is nickel plate and little (or no) chrome. the bolts were super cheap and everyone of them broke. i replaced with grade eight bolts, flat washers, lock washers and chrome acorn nuts where visible. they look very nice now and at a fraction of the price. they don't seem real big in size to me though. they are supposed to be a Yamaha Big Bar Engine Guard knock off. i made some elephant ears and they work great. no one will say their bars are "crash bars and i dont think they would help a whole lot if you are rolling over past the floor board bottoms. from my limited experience i have found that if the bike is moving and it's on it's side, there is nothing on that side that will be worth a whole lot. especially on our big bike's there is going to be little the engine guard would save.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM

I have Cobra crash bars. The quality is excellent and it has paid for itself by limiting damage to my bike when it went down. I had one small scratch on the underside of the bar.

Last edited by traderfjp; 01-31-2012 at 06:45 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

I am only thinking of if the bike fell while at rest or moving very slowly, not to protect during a moving crash as I know there is little to protect in that event. I will look into the Linbys...thanks for the feedback!

-Chris
Buck's Lowers | D&D Slip-On | Lindby Black Multibar | Kuryakyn Hwy Pegs | Misc. Bling
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Just ordered Lindbys as well....I believe they can save a leg during a lay down additionally. One store on EBay has the classic ones for app 285 vs the normal 318+ on google or the other eBay stores.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm right at 6' tall, wear 32" inseam pants...can you actually set your feet on these...comfortably (the Lindby's specifically)? Seems like it would be a bit of a stretch and may not be all that comfortable, but not having ever used them, it's hard to say for sure. I'm just judging by where I think the bars will be relative to my feet. In either case, I'll still want crash bars, just looking into which are most functional as highway bars too. I've got a good deal worked out on a set of the Lindby Multibar black PC'd, checking in before I pull the trigger on them.

-Chris
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Sure can !

I'm taller but do have 32" inseams and reach the top of the linby bar just fine, I think you will like it. Oh and it's nice to have a place to straighten out the old legs on the road..

Let us know what you pick.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.

Last edited by dcody40; 02-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Lindby Crash Bars

I am 6'1" with 31" inseam. I reach the bars fine. In fact sometimes I slouch in the seat a little leaning against my backrest and lay my feet on top of the bars around ankle high.
I don't think there are too many company's that make black bars like Lindby and you do have a midnight liner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode