No winDscreen.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

No winDscreen....

Is a better looking bike, but at highway speeds, 65-85, feels like its going to pull my petit, 230lb body off the bike. How many of you ride with none?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

I commute to work without it, long trips on interstates with it. I love the quick disconnect system!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Ok I'm spoiled for the dressers.

My Strat S is all dressed up, the fairing is a Memphis Shades with a clearview 14 in curved windshield, MS lowers and also bucks lowers, also with the quick disconnects, comes in handy for cleaning and checking things out, I took it off oneday and went for a spin, it's a whole new charactor without the fairing, wind noise that I am not used to having, and the bike looks goofy with the bags and trunk with a naked front end.
I do about a 100 miles a day, average for work, all weather. So it's staying put for me. It's pretty calm behind this setup for me, I'm 6'6" and can see over the 14 inch clearview shield just fine. Very low buffeting when following any distance behind a big rig, just bumps of air. But at reasonable speeds I can talk to my backseater just fine without yelling. Not at 75-80 on the interstate, but country rides.

07 Stratoliner S with MS Batwing, MS lowers, Buck lowers, custom large trunk rack, King tourpack trunk, air horn, See me Now tail light and headlight pulser mods. Led lighting all over. Night rider tail light setup on the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:37 AM

I have the windshield, love it and couldn't imagine being with out it. i can hear my rider if i have one, i can relax because i don't need to fight the wind and the windshiled makes my hair look good.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM

I commuted on my liner last fall about an hour each way, and I'm adding a shield/fairing this spring (I'm actually shopping now) because I want to be a little more comfortable. I've run other bikes with and without shields, and for the highway commuting, it really is a nicer experience with the wind protection.

Now to decide between the MS batwing and windshield. Sigh. I can paint it myself, so that's not a worry, I just can't decide between the two.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

I rode today without the windscreen... no highway though. I have to agree the window helps a lot on the highway. I do have to say the bike has a great look without it though!

06 Stratoliner S - far from stock
08 Lexus ISF
04 4runner
06 Lexus IS350
Ryan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Cool vs comfort, I (at this point in life) pick comfort every time Knocking bugs off, beating down the excess wind, wind noise ect. Besides, a good lookin windshield sets off a nice ride, imhfo

Ride Safe
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Cool vs comfort, I (at this point in life) pick comfort every time Knocking bugs off, beating down the excess wind, wind noise ect. Besides, a good lookin windshield sets off a nice ride, imhfo

Ride Safe
I completely agree...as long as the windshield is proportioned to the bike, it can look nice. And let's face it, the liner is so big, you can get away with a big piece of plexi up there before it looks strange.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 AM

Screen

I am 57 been riding bikes since i was around 12...Always been of the impression that screens were for pussies...Brought roadliner and it came with a screen...Used it for a coupla long rides and now find i also am a pussy....Its sad i know but whats a bloke gonna do..??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Young vs Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
I am 57 been riding bikes since i was around 12...Always been of the impression that screens were for pussies...Brought roadliner and it came with a screen...Used it for a coupla long rides and now find i also am a pussy....Its sad i know but whats a bloke gonna do..??
i have to laugh. i don't think you are a pussy. i think you are far smarter in your old age. when young we do things to make ourselves look tough (and sometimes feel miserable). as we age we find out that the tough image isn't really all that smart of a way to go sometimes. the first year i got my bike all my buds were wearing Gerbing heated jacket liners. i called them pussies and rode in the cold freezing my ass off (Minnesota) yet we would get to the destination of choice (bar) and they were all happy as larks and i was shivering trying to warm up with a cold beer in my hand. not much fun or comfort there. i bought a Gerbing heated liner and holy crap, i was laughing out loud the first night i drove home with the temp hovering around freezing. i will never ride or be without it again. am i a pussy? no, i can hang with the best of them when needed. do i enjoy riding with this smart old man tactics. oh hell yeah. it is common for us to ride in 34 deg temps with it getting colder at night. without the windshield and the heated liner this would never happen. be smart and get the windshield. you can always take it off if you get a detachable unit and put it back on when the weather looks less desirable. i would strongly suggest you get the Gerbing heated jacket liner, especially if you don't get the windshield. it will give you the warmth you need to keep riding when the others are putting their bikes away for the year. i gain at least 2 month of extra riding because of the protection and warmth. i so when you see me ride you think, holy crap that guy is hardcore. its frikin freezing and he is still riding. who looks tough now? me the pussy with the heated liner. also nobody can tell you are wearing heated liner so you can retain the tough guy status.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat

Last edited by TheBrain; 02-05-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: brain damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode