Help with my Roadliner.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Help with my Roadliner....

I have a 2007 Roadliner and it has just in the last few month's started acting up when I keep the throttle at a steady speed, She starts acting like she's losing power but if I throttle up or down just a bit it returns to the get up and go as usual. Now I have noticed that it does this when she starts warming up or when she's good and warm, I have not noticed it when she's cold.

I was told it could be my battery or my stator, Well the cold did in my almost 4 year old battery and I replaced it with a quality battery of same OEM specs. and she's still does it.

I don't want to have to spend $400 on a stator if I am way off base and that's not what it is.

Now I do have driving lights, speakers (Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome) on it.

Please help.

Thank you
Festus

Festus Allcock
Vice President
Patriots MC Decatur TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Banned

Well the cold weather and your previous dead battery may or may not be related if the problem is in fact the alternator.

The most common way to check the ability of the alternator is to check it's voltage with a multimeter with the bike running. Before you start the bike make sure your battery is fully charged. It might be new but if it isn't being recharged correctly then it might need to be put on a tender until it is. After that, put it in the bike and start it up. To rule out the effects of the driving lights and sound system, I guess it might be best to shut them off or disconnect them. After shes warmed up the voltage measured across the battery posts should be between 12.7 and 14.3 volts (at idle or even while reving it up to 3K or so. Any voltage higher or lower would indicate a bad stator.

If the charging checks out okay by the above excercise then there may be something strange going on with the TPS. (throttle position sensor)

Last edited by stratowart; 02-05-2012 at 04:42 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM

That happened to my 2010 roadliner. It was because the bike was running too rich but I have also heard some people say it can happen from running to lean. Maybe check your plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
That happened to my 2010 roadliner. It was because the bike was running too rich but I have also heard some people say it can happen from running to lean. Maybe check your plugs
Well since my last post I have put a Dyno Jet Power Commander on it and had Yamaha remap the computer, I have not had a chance to get out and put some miles on it yet. I do know that it boosted the hell out of the get up and go she had.

I used to have a Cobra Fi2000R on it and it sucked, So much happier with the Dyno Jet.

Thanks for the replies, I hope this did it.

Festus Allcock
Vice President
Patriots MC Decatur TX

Last edited by Festus; 03-09-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: misspelled words
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus View Post
Well since my last post I have put a Dyno Jet Power Commander on it and had Yamaha remap the computer, I have not had a chance to get out and put some miles on it yet. I do know that it boosted the hell out of the get up and go she had.

I used to have a Cobra Fi2000R on it and it sucked, So much happier with the Dyno Jet.

Thanks for the replies, I hope this did it.
Well there's your problem. Any piggy-back fuel management has the potential to screw up how well the bike runs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM

I have the Cobra longs and their fuel unit.
Set the three pods to the following.
Your bike will run great.
Also throw 4 oz. of Seafoam in a full tank and I bet your issues will be gone.
The Seafoam will clean everything up inside the v-twin.
I do a tank every 3,000 miles and my bike screams.
Good luck.
Swomack

It's All About The Ride
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Seafoam is good stuff! I haven't run it through the bike, but I did run about 1/4 or 1/3 can of Berryman through the tank. I run a can of it through my trucks about every other oil change, and do the full Seafoam treatment every 30k or so... (gas tank, oil, and vacuum line)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Will do guys, I didn't look to see where Yamaha set the Dyno Jet at. But I hope to get out this weekend and put some miles on (If we have a day that's not raining!!!) lol

Festus Allcock
Vice President
Patriots MC Decatur TX
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 AM

For a cleaner for the gas tank and engine, I try to almost use Shell or Chevron gas. I heard Shell has the most cleaning additives than any other gas. Probably just in my head but I also feel a bit more power from Shell gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode