Bulb Upgrade ?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Bulb Upgrade ??

While I had my headlamp off I was thinking of upgrading the stock bulbs. Is it worth it? If so what bulbs are the best and brightest for our liners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

i went from stock to a PIAA xtreme white plus bulb. very happy with the brightness. was the first mod i ever did on my bike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Granted, I did it on a different bike, but in my experience don't waste your time or money on an HID kit. I've heard the PIAA bulbs are the best way to go and I'll probably go that route when it's time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Midnight View Post
Granted, I did it on a different bike, but in my experience don't waste your time or money on an HID kit.
why not ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i went from stock to a PIAA xtreme white plus bulb. very happy with the brightness. was the first mod i ever did on my bike.
Did you do a back to back comparison? How much brighter are the PIAA's. The stock seem pretty bright. Also, do you ride with your low beams or high beams during the day?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post
Did you do a back to back comparison? How much brighter are the PIAA's. The stock seem pretty bright. Also, do you ride with your low beams or high beams during the day?
i didn't take before and after pics but there is a noticeable increase in brightness. the xtreme white plus is 4000K and i'm guessing the stock bulb is around 3500K. i don't use my high beams except on long dark roads
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 PM

I just did a and PIAA switch and Ilike it a lot. The beam is a 6000K and adjusted the headliht up to where it should be, just inder blining the oncoming driver, and it like daytime. Easyinstall and good outcome. Canīt beat that combo

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 PM

I added P1AA and like brigtness plus added wal mart lignts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

for anyone interested in upgrading to an HID kit for your headlight, this is the difference between a stock halogen bulb and an HID kit on headlights to give a general idea.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
why not ?
Wish I would have taken pictures, but I put an HID hi/low kit in my last bike, and was very disappointed. Inconsistent beam pattern, the light just wasn't focused correctly it seemed. Looking head-on at the headlight, it looked brighter, and it would make street signs reflect brighter, but it lacked what you might call "definition" everywhere. It just didn't light up the road or surroundings well at all. Plus, I was constantly getting high beams flashed at me from oncoming traffic... It was disappointing because installation was a bit of a pain on the bike, and the end result sucked (in my opinion.) On top of that, I feel like the hid look is getting very played out, almost as bad as seeing aftermarket "euro" taillights on everything.
I found this article explaining it, and it seems to make sense. Now, you guys can swap in the hids if you really want to, but I won't do it again. You also have to consider the fact that there are more things to go wrong, what with ballasts, plugs, etc, etc.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by 08Midnight; 02-14-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode