Cut Tip Off OEM Exhaust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Cut Tip Off OEM Exhaust

I like our fat, oem exhaust for looks and sound. I think it fits the bike - large exhaust on a large bike. The only thing I really don't care for is how the tip is facing out towards the bike. If it was pointed down it would look so much better, imho. Originally I was going to cut the tip off and put on a 4" black tip with a scalloped cut, but the more I look at it the more I like the way it looks with a straight pipe. The cost of a black billet tip is also very pricey. Some of the tips are over 150.00.

The other issue with going with a tip is that I would need to do more cutting to get it to fit. Right now the hole is 3 3/4" so I think I can do the 4" fit but if I'm off it will be a lot of extra work for nothing. The good thing is that I would be stuck with the same look as I have now which I like so.....

Anyway, I'm going to get some chrome paint for the edge of the cut so it doesn't rust. TO make the cut I used a metal cut off blade on a 12" Hitachi Miter Saw. I placed a towel on my work area and once it was all square I went to town. I kept stopping to spray WD40 on the blade and cut so the chrome would not blue and the blade won't burn up. It took me maybe 10 minutes of cutting. I have a great looking cut from what I can see. I don't see any chrome flaking, bluing or cracking. I filed the edge a bit and it needs a bit more but it was getting late.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Banned

Good work and a very gutsy decision to take a saw to chrome !

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Personally ill never have my tip cut off. :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCarmack View Post
Personally ill never have my tip cut off. :O
Not when you put it like that. I'm still considering a tip.

Frank
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Good work and a very gutsy decision to take a saw to chrome !
An angle cut would be even more gutsy. Do you think it would look better with a tip?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Banned

I don't want to inspire you to hack away at your chrome exhaust but from the pictures, your straight cut came out nice. Are you thinking you can cut it again but at an angle?

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't want to inspire you to hack away at your chrome exhaust but from the pictures, your straight cut came out nice. Are you thinking you can cut it again but at an angle?
An angle cut would be very gutsy I'm not sure if I could even do it with a 10' blade. I probably would need a 12" blade. I was actually thinking of a straight tip to finish off the end but I'm not sure if it needs it: http://motorcycleparts2u.com/cobra-b...-tip-082559-tr
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned

that cobra exhaust tip would dress it up and give it a nice clean look. You might even have to cut back the center pipe a little to fit that tip on.

I also noticed that in your first post you mentioned the saw you used was a 12" Hitachi so you could put in a 12" reinforced abrasive cut-off blade for metals. I bet it makes a whomp'in big noise when the blade hits the pipe when you start cutting.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
that cobra exhaust tip would dress it up and give it a nice clean look. You might even have to cut back the center pipe a little to fit that tip on.

I also noticed that in your first post you mentioned the saw you used was a 12" Hitachi so you could put in a 12" reinforced abrasive cut-off blade for metals. I bet it makes a whomp'in big noise when the blade hits the pipe when you start cutting.
There wasn't any big noises but lots of sparks. I wore eye gear just incase. When I got down to the nitty gritty there was a little fire when the spraks lit up the towel. It wasn't anything a healthy pair of lungs couldn't put out. Cutting back the second pipe will take some thinking if I do go with the Cobra tip. I also found a Bassani for a little more. I'm not sure if the black tip will cheapen the look are give it a nice contrast of color. I need to see it installed to know for sure.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM

I hope you are all aware that if you cut through the chrome the underlying steel will most likely rust no matter what unless the stock muffler is made of stainless steel. the chrome is not only pretty it is a corrosion inhibitor so most exhausts are made of cheaper steel and plated rather than expensive stainless steel. once the chrome is worn/cut thru you will take the chance of rust. just be careful and make sure you don't mind buying a new muffler because you ruined your stock one. i took my stock one of and put it in the rafters in the garage. bought a roadhouse slip-on off of eBay. i play with that one instead of the stock one. that way if i sell the bike i can put all the stock stuff back on if needed. just something to think about.

R.I.P
2007 Stratoliner "S"
Totaled out on 8/14/17 at 69,985 miles.
She was Bad Ass, It has cool Brain stuff in it.
K&N, BAM, BRA Mod (only one on the planet),
Stock 2:1 header pipe and Roadhouse Slip-on muffler
I loved my Strat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode