passing lamps????? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Question passing lamps?????

Why do they call them passing lamps? are they not driving lights? When they are turned on do they stay on or are they momentary. Somebody clear the water,I'm confused -------- not stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Why do they call them passing lamps? are they not driving lights? When they are turned on do they stay on or are they momentary. Somebody clear the water,I'm confused -------- not stupid.
IIRC, they're on as long as the low beams are on, and the switch on the handlebar is on if they're wired in the "stock" way. I'm completely baffled as to why they call them passing lamps and not driving lights though.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

They're also called: "Driving Lights", "Fog Lights", "Running Lights", "Auxiliary Lights" etc. Terminology. No big deal.

The Stratoliner comes with an auxiliary light switch in the right handlebar switch cluster. On/Off. No waiting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 PM

Hammer,

I have a set of "passing lamps" on my bike, and the way it is wired, I have to physically turn them on and off with a switch located on the right handlebar directly under the power/kill switch. In the case of my bike, the hi beams do not make any difference as to whether the passing lamps are on/off. I can have both on or both off, etc.

To be honest, I don't know what they are "for", but I turn them on when I want to be just a little more visible, whether in daylight or at night. Basically, I turn them on in heavy traffic whether I'm "passing" or not.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Any logic asto why there are 2 bulbs in each housing?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Banned

I always thought they called them passing lights because you could turn them on when getting ready to pass another vehicle that is in the slow lane. An attention getting visual aid so to speak.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
I always thought they called them passing lights because you could turn them on when getting ready to pass another vehicle that is in the slow lane.
If that were the case, they'd have called them "Overtaking Blue Bike Lights"

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned

Okay, so they are more than just a visual aid, if red bikes need them to pass a blue bike, then these things must be really amazing....correction,,,,make that a miracle!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM

I'll admit i enjoy the 'male' humor of passing GAS, i'm sorry if i'm too old to get into the kinky stuff like passing LAMPS

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Any logic asto why there are 2 bulbs in each housing?
The lower bulb is 5 watts, the upper bulb is 30 watts. You can seperate the leads that are tied together in the driving lamp housing. Wire the lower bulb to your running lamp in each front turn signal. Then with the aux. switch in the off position on the right hand control you will always have the 5 watt bulbs on with the front signal running lamps. Giving you your low beam h/l, and your signal lamps and the 5 watt driving lamps on as running lamps. When you flip the aux. switch to the on position you then have the 30 watt driving lamps on. Good for visability and also great when riding at night.

MDSR

"ride to live"
'06 Stratoliner "S", '02 HD Heritage Softail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode