Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

need advise, opinions on new exhaust

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  t84a 
#1 ·
In Dec I went from a R* to my new 14 Strat D and remember the POPPING issue with the R* (AIS). So here are a few questions and opinions I need answered.
1) Installing a complete set of pipes and K&N will the stock system handled the increased flow or do I need to install a fuel doo-hickie?
2) On the R* I removed the AIS, is there anything I need to remove on this BEAST?
3) Ok so here is the tricky question, I have found two pipes both 2/1 the freedom in black or the V&H chrome. is there any difference in quality, does the black hold up?

#2 ·
I am only able to answer question 1 for you:
Yes, you do need a fuel doo-hickie if you don't want popping etc. with a new set of pipes and a K&N system.
All the recommendations I have seen and heard are for the Power Commander V for it. The nice thing is that you could even have 2 settings, provided you get the additional switch for it, one for long distance touring, with better gas mileage, and one for, e.g., cruising around town.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

#3 ·
kmb,
wimg is right when you change exhaust and airflow from my experience doing upgrades on my 950t, yet shop around if you decide on a power commander. There are deals out there. I had chrome V&H on my previously owned 650 classic with no issues. The black that I've seen on several other bikes holds up if they're ceramic coated, or the black is actually covers over the exhaust. Now I have seen owners use header wrap on their exhaust and black covers over the wrap with good results. Again, other will have different results. As wimg said, hope this helps.

#4 ·
(1) These bikes have an EXup valve where the two pipes come together. Its a butterfly type that opens when the throttle is opened and closes down when the throttle is closed down keeping back pressure on the system when needed. For best torque and power on the low end its best to keep it so, a slip on would be a good choice. If your looking for noise and not low end grunt, you can remove it and run louder pipes.

Any change to intake or exhaust will require some sort of air/fuel adjustment as stated above. All bikes run lean from factory and are in need of it even when stock.

(2) Remove stock air filter and replace with K&N and leave the air filter cover off. Hold the K&N down with some washers and screws. Remove stock slip-on and install new one. Install power commander.

(3) I like to see the same color. Chrome to chrome or black to black I think looks best.

#5 ·
Yo KMB - I just recently installed the D&D Slip on to my 2008 Roadliner. The previous owner already did the Baron K&N Filter mod and also installed the Cobra FI2000 module. I do get an occasional backfire when I let off the throttle quickly. Its not to the point of irritating, its actually a little amusing. Sound from the slip is perfect for me - just like stock when cruising, but nice roar when you get on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.