Wind issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Wind issue

New to the forum and would like some input already. Went from an FJR with a full faced helmet to the Stratoliner and a 1/2 helmet.
The Liner has a memphis shades batwing fairing and a 6.5" memphis shades curved windshield. I also have the memphis shades lowers and I am getting a generous amount of wind around my head, to the point of making my glasses shake on my head. Any suggestions short of changing anything? On a side note I did ride a cruiser quite sometime ago before the Feejer with no windshield or fairing and the wind around my head wasn't that bad, as it seemed I had more clean air than what some call "dirty air". I really would like to keep the memphis shades batwing fairing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:15 PM

No first hand experience behind any batwings, but what I've heard is that the short windshield creates a lot of buffeting and that the higher windshields eliminate most of the buffeting. Again, thats what I've heard.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Another thing I'll add is if I take either hand off the grip and place it palm out facing the front of the bike it will eliminate a lot of the wind around my head, so it seems the wind is from the lower area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:23 PM

The Strat is more of a pro-street style frame, low neck and long wheel base. That said, the use of a fairing is not as functional as say a Street Glide or Victory Cross Country. On those bikes, the fairings are chest level and a normal windshield is as high as the rider (unless they go windsheldless for the cool factor)

I have a Strat with the standard windshield and at 6'5" sitting in a relaxed position, it is just above my eyes. At the dealer I sat on a Deluxe and the windshield didnt even make my mid chest.

It is my suggestion that you find a taller windshield, although a tall windshield doesnt look great with the typical strat fairing, it will add the function you want.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes I understand, and I have tried a higher shield, one that I am almost looking through, and I am still getting the wind around my head.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 PM

There are a few that has a flare at the top that kicks the wind up, I have no experience with them but they seem to have a lot of good reviews from people that use them. Others here may have some suggestions on those.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Lowers

Don't know about bat wing but with many windshields lowers solve the problem. As it did on my 06 Liner.

Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 AM

I would suggest (if I can explain this effectively) take your left arm, place your palm face down and bend your elbow to where your forearm is parallel to the ground. Now place your forearm close to the side of the tank. Move your arm around, in & out, forward & back and see if that helps at all. If it does you need to find different lowers or adjust the ones you have to help out. I don't have a fairing just a stock windshield but all my air and buffeting comes from between my knees and up beside the tank. I can hold my knees against the tank and feel a difference. If you have a highway bar you can even try some chaps for those. Good luck

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 AM

I have the Memphis Shades Batwing fairing as well. I found adding the MS Wind Deflectors helped.
http://www.memphisshades.com/wind-de...ind-deflectors

They didn't solve the issue entirely but eliminated much of the buffeting. Adding lowers also helped.

Main reason I added these items was for the warmth factor. I only keep them on in the spring and fall when the temps drop but they did help with buffeting too.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 PM

Wind issue

I have an aftermarket fairing and I used to get that buffeting effect too where you felt that you're glasses and helmet would almost come off while riding. What I did this year is I replaced my stock shield and bought me a 8.5" Klock werks shield off EBay. I was skeptical at first but I tell you it stopped the buffeting that most guys complain about who own and ride a bike with a fairing. I'm sold on their product

Last edited by vstarjoe; 06-05-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode