Handlebar options - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Handlebar options

I want taller bars. I know the cables limit how far you can raise them but my idea is to go with bars 1 or 2 inches narrower to compensate.

The factory bars are 8" high; 14" pullback with a total width of 36.5"

Funny thing is mine measure almost 38" wide.

Problem is with the 1.25" bar, there are limited options.

My neighbors strat came with slightly more narrow bars that sit about 1.5 to 2" higher but we have no idea where they came from.

Info from anyone that has been through this and have some ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Anyone got any experience or opinions on the LA Choppers Heafty 12" ape? Think it will work with stock wires?

12" rise, 12" pullback. same width.

Also, anyone know the rise measurement on the Yamaha Tour bars? They give the width and pullback but not the rise.

Last edited by Sportsmanphil; 06-09-2015 at 10:54 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
I want taller bars. I know the cables limit how far you can raise them but my idea is to go with bars 1 or 2 inches narrower to compensate.

The factory bars are 8" high; 14" pullback with a total width of 36.5"

Funny thing is mine measure almost 38" wide.

Problem is with the 1.25" bar, there are limited options.

My neighbors strat came with slightly more narrow bars that sit about 1.5 to 2" higher but we have no idea where they came from.

Info from anyone that has been through this and have some ideas would be greatly appreciated.
There is the official Tourer bar, which accomplishes this: https://www.yamahapartsandaccessorie...&dealernumber=
Flanders also makes one. Both are slightly narrower. Baron also makes a fairly low ape with is a more than 4in narrower if I am not entirely mistaken.

You could also consider Baron or Rivco risers: they make a set especially for the Roadliner/Stratoliner, and accomplishes exactly what you want, and neither requires lengthening of cables etc. Have a look here:
http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/...ner_risers.htm

The total measured width you mention is caused by the extra widths of balancing weights and the grips. The 'naked' handlebar is a little less wide .

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Last edited by wimg; 06-10-2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
Anyone got any experience or opinions on the LA Choppers Heafty 12" ape? Think it will work with stock wires?

12" rise, 12" pullback. same width.

Also, anyone know the rise measurement on the Yamaha Tour bars? They give the width and pullback but not the rise.
The apes won't work without extending the wiring and cables, the rise is just too much - that is a rise of 6 inches or thereabouts.

As to the width of the Yamaha Tour bars, it's actually in the description, and not easy to find:
Quote:
Example: Your current handlebars have 4" rise with 8" pullback and they’re 30" wide. The bars you are thinking about getting have 6-1/2" rise, 12" pullback, and are 33-1/2" wide. Therefore, you now know that these bars are going to be 2-1/2" taller, come back towards you 4" more and be 3-1/2" wider than what you currently have. If you are also adding accessory risers, you would add in their effect as well.
(from the official site: https://www.yamahapartsandaccessorie...&dealernumber= )

HTH, kind regards, Wim
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimg View Post
The apes won't work without extending the wiring and cables, the rise is just too much - that is a rise of 6 inches or thereabouts.

As to the width of the Yamaha Tour bars, it's actually in the description, and not easy to find:

(from the official site: https://www.yamahapartsandaccessorie...&dealernumber= )

HTH, kind regards, Wim
That is an example, not the actual measurement of the Strat Tour bars. Factory strat bars are 36.5 wide and have a rise of 8" and a pull back of 14". I originally thought the same.

Last edited by Sportsmanphil; 06-10-2015 at 10:55 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

So unable to find the bar rise for the Yamaha Tour bars anywhere online.. I called Yamaha's accessory help line...guess what, they dont know either....

What I want are bars that are between 2-4 inches taller, dont mind them being up to 2" narrower; with NO MORE PULLBACK....I am 6'5" and have monkey arms, I dont need more pullback.

I have searched for days and have found nothing. Im about to go have a custom set made.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Yamaha called back just now and claim the Tour Bar has no more rise than factory.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ok, I thought they used the actual measurement values for the tour bar.
I looked a bit further, and found the measurements, in a few places actually:
Product Dimensions 36 x 18.6 x 4.5 inches (that would be width, pullback and rise in inches). And I also found that a statement that in comparison to stock handlebars, these Touring Handlebars have 1-1/4" more pullback and are 1-1/2" narrower in width.
See here: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/st...rce=igodigital

In that case it isn't worth the effort, IMO, you could just as well get Baron or Rivco risers. It won't make the handle bar narrower, but then, there is not much difference anyway.

You could try these, they are likely a lot better:
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ..._Tour_Bar.html
Despite the name, they are for the Roadliner/Stratoliner.
I haven't tried these yet myself, as I will likely only be able to collect my (first) Strat tomorrow , but I have a similar one for my V-Star 1300, with similar small changes in the dimensions, and that was just right, for me. In the end, the extra pullback did it.

Flanders also have apes which will fit, but pullback of those is actually less, although that may not be a concern with higher apes:
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ.../Fat_Apes.html

I'll see if I can find a few more; I do remember seeing some somewhere which were significantly narrower.

Kind regards, Wim
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Hey Phil - have you looked at Chubby's or LA Choppers - here are their links -
http://www.wild1inc.com/
http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/ca.../23/index.html

I got my bars and risers from LA choppers - good luck, hope you find what your looking for ! !
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far..

I may have stumbled across something.

I found a guy that has a set of LA Chopper Hefty 10" apes that was returned. he is willing to send them to me to test fit and if they work I can buy them at a discount. If not, I pay to ship them back.

The measurements on the 10' hefty are 10 rise 10 pull and 38 wide.

I like the rise, not real fond of loosing 4" of pull and not fond of adding 1.5 width. But they may work with factor cables/hoses. I would be stoked if they were the same width or 1-2 narrower.

I am curious to see how long the 1" bar ends are. It is possible to cut some width off if they have a long grip area.

What do yall think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode