Are the passing/highway lamps really worth that much jingle? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Are the passing/highway lamps really worth that much jingle?

Been in the mood to change the Strat around and was looking at the passing lamps. I guess plastic cost a lot more than chromed metal because most passing lamp mounts run about 100...cheapest I found the strat (plastic) is 190.00. By the time you add the lamps (130-160 more) it gets kind of ridiculous considering its plastic arms with a lamp that has no more technology or labor than a $10.00 set of generic fog lamps for your car..

I know 'if you wanna play, you gotta pay' but I can put lamps on a Harley for half that...

So my question, is it worth it? Do they give you enough light at night to make the cost worth it?

Ive seen a few people that put a Cree LED under the triple tree using the riser bolts. I like that idea, well hidden and MUCH cheaper form of light, but the factory passing lamps have a bit of style...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 06:27 AM

Don't ride much at night myself but when I have I think they do add more side of road lighting. I added mine for looks and 3 lights help you to be seen more by cagers. I keep them on all the time. Yammy OEM's is what I used, and yes break out the piggy bank!!

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:22 AM

I have also been thinking of putting these on my bike as watching those cagers has become second nature and flashing my lights so that they see me is getting old. I cannot tell you how many times after flashing my lights the light bulb goes off in their eyes and they really see me!
How hard was it to hook up, which lights did you buy specifically and why. Can you give us any tips that would make it less painful to buy or hook these babies up ourselves. Any thoughts or information that would help me make an informed opinion and installation easier would be truly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mental

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 AM

I have the OE brand on my 1100. As far as extra light at night I don't know if that is really enough to benefit but I like them simply for aesthetic reasons. Personally if you have a fairing or a large w/s I think they add to the looks of the bike. And having more lights for others to see is always a plus. Mine were installed when I purchased the bike but the juice comes from a splice into the headlight circuit inside the headlight bucket.

Funny this topic came up because I have to work on mine this weekend. Mine stopped working the other day. After some digging I realized the splice was loose and had lost the connection. Fixed that but after a 35 mile trip home I realized I had NO headlights at all. I'm thinking the splice cut completely through the headlight feed. So be careful how you splice into it. Mine was done with one of those crimp type quick splices. Think I'll ditch that and go with soldering the connection.
You can probably find some aftermarket models that are cheaper than OE. Heck every one I have ever looked at looked the exact same no matter what brand bike it was on. I wouldn't invest in plastic that's for sure. Any little bump to either light and it may break off. Then you are buying the whole thing again. If it's metal you can at least straighten it back to where it was. Ask me how I know!

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Floss Tycoon View Post
I have also been thinking of putting these on my bike as watching those cagers has become second nature and flashing my lights so that they see me is getting old. I cannot tell you how many times after flashing my lights the light bulb goes off in their eyes and they really see me!
How hard was it to hook up, which lights did you buy specifically and why. Can you give us any tips that would make it less painful to buy or hook these babies up ourselves. Any thoughts or information that would help me make an informed opinion and installation easier would be truly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mental

I went with the Yammy OEM passing lights and mounts. Decided the look fit with the JPD lower Cowls.

Got to admit they were extremely easy to put on ... ahhhh all I did was open my wallet up and pay the dealer for both the parts and installation bawawahahaha

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:14 AM
eGo

I too have wondered about these.. I'm still not sure why they call them passing lights.. Perhaps I'll remember to google that shortly. I do like the look, but when I saw the cost I was shocked.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGo View Post
I too have wondered about these.. I'm still not sure why they call them passing lights.. Perhaps I'll remember to google that shortly. I do like the look, but when I saw the cost I was shocked.
And that is my driving point for this thread. Most passing lamps are metal with a welded tab, special bends and chromed...This is a piece of plastic with fake chrome and a few bolts..and its twice as much....

Its a scam. It 'matches' the style of the bike and no one makes an aftermarket system so if we want it, we are screwed and Yamaha knows it.

Perfect example is the engine bar. Its metal, welded, bent, chromed and it cost less than the light bar (not even including the price of the lamps) because there are aftermarket engine bars.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM
eGo

There are some aftermarket ones out there.. Like this :

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/643...ving-light-bar

But dang.. Almost $400? Really? lol I'm going to get into the passing light business and sell them for half price! haha j/k
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:36 PM

I went with the OEM Yami lights also. Got the entire kit for $269 off eBay. Then replaced the OEM junk lense & 2 bulb design with HD ones. A much better & brighter 35 watt bulb than Yamaha. Paid $65 for the HD lenses with bulbs and sold the OEM Yamaha ones for $48 on eBay.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGo View Post
There are some aftermarket ones out there.. Like this :

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/643...ving-light-bar

But dang.. Almost $400? Really? lol I'm going to get into the passing light business and sell them for half price! haha j/k
Nope, I selected my strat in the drop down menu and 'no matching parts'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode