Need help folks...like tonight. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Need help folks...like tonight.

I am installing the risers tonight but cannot get enough cable.

I have heard you can open up the headlight to free up some cable slack but it also appears the brake line needs a little extra room.

I understand you can re-route the brake line somehow to gain a little room, anyone got some info on this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 PM
eGo

Check out this post, see if it helps..

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ighlight=cable

GL!

eGo
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Hey Sportsman,

I did this about three weeks ago and found that if I pulled on the wiring it came out from behind the headlight. I had to take off the cover that goes around the key, its just a rubber boot thing and pulls right off. I found plenty of wiring to pull from there.
As for the brake line, I took it out of the cable routing wire and just let it run up next to the windshield. So far so good, it is tight and I will buy one that is a little longer down the road but it will work for now.

I put the Baron risers on mine and it made a WORLD of difference!

If you need anything just let me know, hope this helps.

Mental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Man, this was a pain in the ass.

I pulled the headlight and gained some wire there easily but the brake hose was a bit tight.

I pulled a string along the brake line for a length to work with and tried running it behind the tree, that was a longer distance because the bulky trees on the strat.

I was able to get it all worked out..but it wasnt easy.

The LA Chopper risers have a 1/2 x 13 thread. The factory hole in the trees is 10mm, a bit smaller. No way to get a 1/2 inch bolt (13mm) through there.

So taking advise from a guy on youtube, I used EZ locks, kind of like a helicoil but solid. The problem was the outside of the EZ lock was 1/2 x13 but the threads were not fully cut in order to make the thing tight. Luckly it comes with 10 in a pack because I destroyed 6 trying to cut the threads fully. The inside is 3/8 (9.5mm) with a 16 pitch thread. So I ran the ez lok onto a bolt and jammed it with a nut. Oiled it and ran a 1/2x13 die down it to cut the threads to full depth. It was not as simple as I just made it sound.

Once I had 2, I used lock tight and ran the EZ lok into the risers. I hung my bars with ratchet straps from the garage door opener so it wouldnt bang into the tank. Mounted the lower riser to the trees and set the bars. I had to clamp the bars semi-snug, then remove the risers with the bar so I can tighten the clamp bolts around the bar (the clamp bolts are hidden on the underside)...then set the risers back onto the trees and bolt them down from the under side.

Now its perfect, looks awesome and has a perfect height for my tall ape like body.

New problem. The top of the trees where he bolts pass through has a raised section so the risers are not sitting flush onto the trees, only in a small embossed area around the hole in the tree. This is allowing the risers to rock slightly. Not loose, but if I pull/push I can see them move.

So now I have to pull the risers off and find a large washer to sit on the trees and make the raised embossed area flush for the base of the riser to come in full contact with metal. That will solve he rocking/play....

I will post up some pics soon of all my recent junk ive added.

Thanks for the input folks.

Last edited by Sportsmanphil; 06-19-2015 at 11:57 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:07 AM

I went with the Barons after reading so many reviews on them. I will have to use the string trick to make sure when I order new brake lines that I get a correct measurement.
Not sure of the rocking action as mine are on there tight, I did have to use the dremel to open up one of the bottoms on the new risers to slide down onto my triple tree all the way but I could tell that was an anomaly.
So far with the mirror extensions and the riser I am feeling pretty good on the machine. I am now looking into a headlight modulator so if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.
I am also looking into a cycle lift as I am not as young or spry as some on here and have had far to many surgeries to be crawling around on my garage floor, any help here also would be appreciated.
Keep us informed Phil.

Mental
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Wow, quite a bit of work there . Good to hear you managed in the end.

I too went with the Barons - I didn't want any fuss .

What a lot of people do when adding risers other than the Rivco and Barons especially made for the Strat/Roadliner, is open up the holes in the trees a little. This will prevent one from remounting the original clamps, however.

The brake line needs to be taken out of the guide indeed for the placement of (relatively low) risers if the line is not extended - it now runs behind the shield in my case too. I plan on replacing the lines at some stage in any case. Need to decide first whether I want a different handlebar or not, as it is quite wide - riding faster than 85 mph or thereabouts is almost impossible without a shield with these wide bars, for me anyway . So far, I am happy, but I haven't done more than 200 miles in a single day yet .

@Mental: what do you plan to achieve with a headlight modulator? If it is for better visibility, as in, being seen by others, wouldn't it be better to have more intense lighting instead, like halogen lights or so?
What I have seen in the past is some fluorescent purplish light as well, and that was extremely visible . It has the effect of a kind of afterglow on one's retina, so it is impossible to miss. I have only seen this once, however, on some super sport bike.

Kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I could have saved a bunch of work by using the Barons but all of the risers for our bike have additional pull back and I need less pull back with my long monkey arms.

Tonight I pulled the bars to see the tops of the trees. The LA Chopper risers are HUGE bulky things. The base is as big as a silver dollar but it sits on a smaller bump in the trees that measures .7 across.

Add that to the fact I have a 3/8's bolt instead of a 10mm, its allowing a slight bit of movement. This might be good for felt vibration and I may actually leave them this way.

Companies make a cone kit to tighten up tall risers but it wont work for this application.

Truth be told, it may have been easier to have drilled the tree to 1/2 inch, then it would work with any riser on the market.

If I choose to fight the play I will find a large washer with a .7 hole and .20 thick to stack around the raised section of the tree and that will give a full size, solid base for the risers to sit on. I will go ahead to automotive fasteners and get a pair in case I tighten it up.

I will go make a video and link it in a few minutes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

If one of you comments on my trashed garage..I will hunt you down and egg your house.

Lots of projects going on and no time to clean up...but here is my video link

If you click the little icon in the bottom right of the video it will go full screen for you. Also, check the volume on the bottom, it starts to play with low volume for some reason.

Last edited by Sportsmanphil; 06-21-2015 at 12:13 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 AM

Wimg,

I have been talking to some of the other riders and have been told that they, like me, are getting the same deer in the headlight looks until we flash them with the lights. They have been using the modulators. I am certainly open to any and all suggestion pertaining to lighting and am going to put some on the bike as well, I guess they are called running lights? If you have some specific suggestions I am all ears.
Thanks for the interest and conversation.

Sportsman,

First off my garage is way, way, way more cluttered as it still has not been cleared out since our remodel!!!
Since you're obviously taller than me and others here I can understand why you went with the risers you did. The Barons have worked out great for me and I would recommend them to anyone 6' or under. They have really made a difference in my shoulders and lower back (3 surgeries).
After seeing your video, (which was great) it looked like you had some sort of chrome piece on the triple tree! Like a plate that mine does not have, or is this one of the differences between the year of manufacture?
Can you tell me which engine ( I won't call them crash bars )guard you installed?
This is one of the options I will put on when I get back from my fishing trip!
Thanks for the conversation and info.

Mental
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Floss Tycoon View Post
Wimg,

I have been talking to some of the other riders and have been told that they, like me, are getting the same deer in the headlight looks until we flash them with the lights. They have been using the modulators. I am certainly open to any and all suggestion pertaining to lighting and am going to put some on the bike as well, I guess they are called running lights? If you have some specific suggestions I am all ears.
Thanks for the interest and conversation.

Sportsman,

First off my garage is way, way, way more cluttered as it still has not been cleared out since our remodel!!!
Since you're obviously taller than me and others here I can understand why you went with the risers you did. The Barons have worked out great for me and I would recommend them to anyone 6' or under. They have really made a difference in my shoulders and lower back (3 surgeries).
After seeing your video, (which was great) it looked like you had some sort of chrome piece on the triple tree! Like a plate that mine does not have, or is this one of the differences between the year of manufacture?
Can you tell me which engine ( I won't call them crash bars )guard you installed?
This is one of the options I will put on when I get back from my fishing trip!
Thanks for the conversation and info.

Mental

That chrome plate/cover over the tree is a factory trim piece for the Strats. As far as I knew, it came on all strats and rodies.

The engine bars are the Yamaha brand accessory engine bar. I think its called the Yamaha Big Bar.

My peg pins will be here Monday according to the tracking. The pegs will be on 10 minutes later...haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode