Stock exhaust modifications - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Stock exhaust modifications

Can the stock muffler on a roadliner be modified to make it louder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen67 View Post
Can the stock muffler on a roadliner be modified to make it louder
Yes, no, maybe, not really....

The stock muff on the strat/rodie is not 'serviceable' like most other exhausts. You cannot remove baffles, gut them easily etc.

The exhaust is a welded unit and contains the baffles and a form of catalytic converter.

I have heard of some people digging in the output side and drilling holes but the end result is a mixed review in regards to sound quality.

Aftermarket slip-ons can be bought between 300 and 500. IMO, the lesser expensive ones have less expensive chrome...

Most people claim that aftermarket slip-ons only add sound but the performance is lessened. From what I have read and understand from the ones that have swapped the exhaust, the factory has given the best performance overall.

IMO, if you are not into the performance and just want a bit meaner sound, buy a quality slip-on and keep the factor muffler around in the case you get tired of your ears ringing.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 AM

No problem.

Keep in mind that some of the info I shared is opinionated except for the serviceability of the factory exhaust.

Some people will chime in soon about how their slip-on gave them 674 more horse power and 895 more foot pounds of torque..but keep in mind that 99% of bike riders never dyno their bikes before and after any tuning....that goes for cars and trucks too.

We called that the 'ear drum dyno' back in my pro shop days..if you make it sound badass it must be.

But like I said, if you dont care about performance gains or even a small loss and just want a good sound; a slip on will probably be your best bet.

Also, there is a very inexpensive slip on that has been showing up lately and from what I have seen, people have ordered one and it never shows up. The manufacturer keeps sending out excuses about fitment issues...There was a thread on this recently, if anyone can remember who that was, might want to chime in so the OP avoids that manufacturer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM

Hey there Biggen - let me know if your interested in a D& D slip on. Will be swapping my out so if your interested, let me know.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I might be interested how much you want for it and if you don't want to much

Last edited by Biggen67; 08-28-2015 at 11:51 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Biggen67;642433]I might be interested how much you want for it that is ifyou don't want to much QUOTE]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil View Post
IMO, if you are not into the performance and just want a bit meaner sound, buy a quality slip-on and keep the factor muffler around in the case you get tired of your ears ringing.
I will add, the D&D or any after market slip-on will only be louder when you open the throttle due to the EXup valve. I have had my D&D on and off a few times. It only takes a few minutes to change it. The thing is, I like the deep tone of the stock can. The D&D is louder but less deep sounding. You will need to re-map with anything other than stock can. Its a personal choice but, I also like the looks of the factory can better than after market ones.

The original question: "Can the stock muffler on a roadliner be modified to make it louder".

I think the answer is yes. Ride it hard and over time it seams to get louder. I don't know but it seams that Yamaha may have put some glass packing in there to get it DOT approved knowing that it will burn out and the can get louder. It just seams that way or my ear drum dyno is failing me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM

How many miles are on you Liner? My exhaust didn't loosen up until right around 5000 miles. It's getting better and better as time goes on.

I'm right at 8000 now and it's roaring pretty good. If you want more than that, slipons or new exhaust may be your only route.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 PM

I have 30K on mine and I cant say its loud unless Im heavy on the throttle. Cruising its pretty quite until I start to pass 70mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode