Warning...dont leave your bars turned right... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Warning...dont leave your bars turned right...

Now I know the bike sits on the stand better with the bars turned left.

Well today I backed my bike out of the garage and turned it right so I could pull away after the engine warmed up.

I came back out a few minutes later and went to sit on her all while pulling on my riding gloves.. Between the right side force and down force of my weight hitting the bike....she kept on going over!

I gotta say, in all my years of riding, never had this happen before. I cant say I got on it any different than before but maybe I did... I know my hands were not on the bars at the time I sat down and that had a bit to do with it in hindsight.

Well, thank goodness im no weakling cause I was able to stop the falling bike just as the floor board struck the driveway and I pulled it back upright. No bike damage, good scuff to the concrete and I almost knocked a fingernail off grabbing at the bars as it fell.

Moral of the story, dont be stupid like I was! Always leave your bars turned left when on the kick stand. Always have your hands ready to grab the bars as you sit down, not preoccupied like mine were. And last, dont sit too harshly like its an old couch in the man-cave....They all had something to do with my close call today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:45 AM

Oddly enough, the Owner's Manual for my 250 Star says to leave the bars turned to the right, and the steering lock only works when they are turned that way.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 AM

Good advice Phil. In the garage, where it is level, I always turn the bars to the right. It keeps the bike more upright and easier for a short guy like me, to mount and dismount. At the filling station, I found it easier to fuel the 1300 from the left side with the bars to the right since the filler is in the middle of the tank. Other than those times I always turn the bars to the left, more weight on the side stand. BTW one of the gurus, can't remember who, recommended to the lightweights to turn them to the right so that it did not take as much muscle to get her upright. Falling over does not impress folks.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:26 AM

I'm a little confused at your post...did the bike fall to the right side or left? I assume it went right but I just can see that happening. But I guess you didn't either until it did. Just glad you and the bike are ok.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Oddly enough, the Owner's Manual for my 250 Star says to leave the bars turned to the right, and the steering lock only works when they are turned that way.
The steering lock on the strat locks turned to the left.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
I'm a little confused at your post...did the bike fall to the right side or left? I assume it went right but I just can see that happening. But I guess you didn't either until it did. Just glad you and the bike are ok.
It fell to the right.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:54 AM

I'm guessing you just put more weight than direction than you expected and apparently it was enough to make it tip. Thanks for posting that as it may save some grief from others. Granted I normally mount from the right side but have never thought of it being earlier to tip based on how the bars were turned.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
I'm guessing you just put more weight than direction than you expected and apparently it was enough to make it tip. Thanks for posting that as it may save some grief from others. Granted I normally mount from the right side but have never thought of it being earlier to tip based on how the bars were turned.
Exactly.

I am pretty sure I hit the bike the same as I usually do but with the bars turned right, the bike sits more upright than left side lean. Almost cost me some scratches, paint and embarrassment.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 AM

Maybe y'all should be mounting from the rear... (the bike that is) LOL

2005 Road Star Midnight
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrT View Post
Maybe y'all should be mounting from the rear... (the bike that is) LOL
That's why they call those things on the back Sissy Bars. You're a "Sissy" if you don't jump over them.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode