holy s**t its not a harley - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By pauli466

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

holy s**t its not a harley

Went out for a ride yesterday and boom bike just quit.Turned over fine everything seemed ok but no start.Called AMA (BTW THEY GAVE GREAT TOW SERVICE) Dealer hasn't called me back yet but pretty certain the fuel pump went.638.46 WTF if it is not incl. labor.Not a happy camper right now.I was hoping to get a few more weeks of riding in before putting her to sleep for winter.Now it looks like trying to get some serious OT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

wELL Well its not the fuel pump;here they found a blown fuse to the injection system but haven't been able to find out as to why it keeps blowing
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Location: Iowa - East-central area just 16 miles North of Quad-Cities.
My son owns 2 HDs, and I can testify that, while he rides 2,000 miles/yr and I ride my 1100 Classic 15,000 miles/yr, our "down time"is not much different. I've been riding for 60 years and have never owned a Harley ... never had enough money to support their maintenance cost.

A lifetime of doing everything twice...
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Its not a Harley lol its an 07 Stratoliner my bitch is the out rageous cost when things do go bad lol.Like the probably insane bill I'm gonna occur while they figure out why its blowing the fuse
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Well of well don't know if it had anything to do with it but my starter is locked up tighter than a ticks ass.Dealer quoted me 600.00 for one so its at a rebuild place localy the a lot of HD guys use.He quoted me 80.00I'm loosing my job of 30 years feb 27th so cash is tight
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

More infoCraig Cornett Here I took it to a guy that does starter rebuilds for HD guys.The friggin magnets came loose and according to alo of strat sites this is a very common issue that Yamaha knows fully about but won't issue recalls
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 AM

I would just compare this small $80 repair on a 2007 bike to what the maintenance would have been on a Harley in 9 years. I think you will find you still have very low maintenance costs and a fine motorcycle.

2014 Stratoliner S
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
More infoCraig Cornett Here I took it to a guy that does starter rebuilds for HD guys.The friggin magnets came loose and according to alo of strat sites this is a very common issue that Yamaha knows fully about but won't issue recalls
you can epoxy the magnets in place which is what most people are doing because a rebuild kit doesn't come with the field housing. i'v head the magnets come lose on new ones too. if the starter is not to hard to remove you can probably handle the job. motorcycle starters are pretty basic, just lay the parts out in order of removal and you wont have problems. JB weld make a good high temp epoxy. but any good two part epoxy works. on mine there's one nut holding the wire and two bolts holding the starter in and two bolt holding it together 5 bolts very easy..80 bucks vs 5 for the epoxy and an hour of labour
pmadden327 and pmadden327 like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-03-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode