06 Roadliner losing power at highway speeds. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Corsair
  • 2 Post By Boatloser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

06 Roadliner losing power at highway speeds.

I have an 06 Yamaha Roadliner that I bought used. The problem I am having is , at highway speeds between 60-70 mph, it seems to be flooding. It will start to spit and sputter causing to loose speed. If I slightly throttle or decellerate it goes away only to start doing it again when I hold throttle. The bike has after market exhaust and a power commander. I took it to the local Yamaha dealer and they told me that the power commander was bad. They replaced it and $650 later, it still does it. I disconected the exup servo motor and replaced with servo buddy. Didn't fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Usually the problem happens at a range of 2000-3000 rpms after the bike has warmed up for a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:49 AM

Garage
Hate to just throw parts at a problem, that can get pricey. However, I had a similar issue on my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. My problem ended up being a bad plug wire, I noticed it when it gave me a shock in my calf!

Joel

2006 Roadliner Midnight XV1900
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Conrow View Post
I have an 06 Yamaha Roadliner that I bought used. The problem I am having is , at highway speeds between 60-70 mph, it seems to be flooding. It will start to spit and sputter causing to loose speed. If I slightly throttle or decellerate it goes away only to start doing it again when I hold throttle. The bike has after market exhaust and a power commander. I took it to the local Yamaha dealer and they told me that the power commander was bad. They replaced it and $650 later, it still does it. I disconected the exup servo motor and replaced with servo buddy. Didn't fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Usually the problem happens at a range of 2000-3000 rpms after the bike has warmed up for a bit.
take it back to the dealer that you paid 650.00 to have it repaired and if they try to charge more money file a complaint at the motor vehicle dept. i'v worked at dealerships and when the DMV shows up with a complaint they act very quickly to fix the problem or they risk being shutdown and large fines. even if you get the bike fixed somewhere else of fix it yourself file a complaint and you can get your 650.00 back. i'v only needed to do this one time in my life, it was a private garage and in 10 days i got my money back. they installed injectors when it was the fuel pump they tried to charge me 600.00 for replacing perfectly fine parts. your problem may very well be an injector, they are difficult if not impossible to bench test. i had one on a sabb that just poured fuel and tested fine. if the injector has an internal leak the engine runs rich or floods check the plugs to see which one went bad

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-24-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:00 PM

I would run some SeaFoam through it first and then go back to the dealer and ask for a credit and your old power commander back.

2014 Stratoliner S
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise guys! However, I already tried the sea foam with no results. And for the plug wires, I got brave one day and grabbed each one of them anticipating a shock and boy was I relieved when I didn't get the jolt. But that doesn't mean that could not be my problem. I have another appointment at a different shop Friday. I think I will have them to give it a good tune-up. I guess it could be a bad plug or even a wire. I will also have them check my TPS and fuel pump pressure. Would appreciate any other items that should be checked that could be causing these issues.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Garage
Have a look at the fuel pump. The housing on certain ones have cracked and the symptoms feel like the engine is flooding but it's actually starving. There's a youtube video out there showing what it looks like.
Terry Conrow and Terry Conrow like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:48 PM

I have a 2009 it was doing the same thing. Replaced the plugs runs like the day I bought it. I always use fuel med and Engine med now 7000 miles later still no issues. Except broke a battery terminal off the battery post. Had to be like Macgyver and use a golf tee to pinch the cable to the post till I got home to replace the battery cable. Found the battery was loose inside the plastic holder. I cut a piece of plastic foam and put it between the battery and the box. Now back to waiting for spring to come.
Terry Conrow and Terry Conrow like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 PM

Garage
Sea foam worked for me!!!

YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBS ME. --DARTH VADER

CHRIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode