Drive belt tracking question/problem. - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Looking back I'm sure that my 950 was a rare case. When I found the problem the nut was still staked from the factory and the QA paint stripe was still intact. The Belleville washer behind the drive pulley was loose enough that I could rotate it with my fingers. There was very little pressure to hold the pulley in place longitudinally on the spline shaft. Therefore, wear progressed over time and fretting caused the Red Mystery Dust. This loosened the pulley on the shaft enough that vibrations occurred primarily under no load conditions.

Moving either end of the rear axle will change the way the belt rides on the rear pulley. In a perfect world the axle would be perpendicular to the center line of the motorcycle and the engine would be mounted so that the drive shaft was perpendicular to the center line of the motorcycle and the two pulleys centered on a common plane. Since that is nearly impossible because of an accumulation of small variables, drive belts are used.

I have no advice on machining any parts or adding shims. It all seems to be in the realm of trial and error. Once you machine a part it is machined and there's no going back. Being a retired engineer this really had my interest for many months and I understand your frustration.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:59 PM

commonground: did you mean Belleville washer behind or on top of the pulley ???

I may give this machining a shot if this Raider cush. drive hub I ended up with turns out to be the same exact hub that's on my 950....unless I discover that the new belt doesn't want to run over and rub the left side of my front pulley and the only reason the old one's over there is because it's worn out.

The consensus is that the front pulley is to far in towards the engine and this makes sense because I'm seeing at least two hundred thousandths of an inch if not a quarter of an inch of rusted unused front pulley on the Inside of the pulley as the belt runs all the way to the outside. Before taking this apart tonight I looked closely and I'm having to pull the left side of the axle back a half of a mark further on the axle puller than the right side. Trying to come up with a guess of how far to move the pulley over towards the right side of the bike to correct or partially correct this misalignment and put the belt closer to the center of both pulleys without having to have the rear wheel crooked in the frame to compensate. Any guesses out there how far ?

Last edited by bigpig41; 06-13-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM

got her back together with the .075 inch milled off the outside of the cush. drive hub on the surface the studs screw into. The new to my bike in very good condition V star 1300 belt I put on surprised me in that it took even a li'l bit more of my adjustment to tighten it than the bike's original worn out belt. I had figured with the same number of teeth it would have been slightly shorter and not stretched at all.

I'm finding that as far as the tracking on the pulley is going, i'm now able to run with the rear axle nearly perfectly straight perpendicular to the swingarm and don't have near the problem keeping the belt from touching the outside rim of the front pulley that I did before(my belt adjusters are adjusted the same now).....However, what I'm noticing is that whenever I let off the throttle in any gear after about three quarters to 1 second after I let off....the belt has moved over towards the engine distinctly and at least one hundred fifty thousandths of an inch every time; and turning the throttle back on moves it back over towards the outside of the pulley. I can see that this action has an affect the same way on the REAR pulley only the belt is only moving side to side about a 1/3 as much on the rear pulley compared with the front. Don't know what to think of this other than maybe the back sides of the pulley teeth are worn at an angle ? Would that cause that? Or if the rubber side of the belt that has load on it when your decelerating was worn at an angle? I guess before making any conclusions or adjustments I should let this belt new to these sprockets run on them for say 750 miles and then reevaluate what it is doing. Gone is my problem of the belt jumping pulley teeth under load.

Last edited by bigpig41; 06-21-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode