Stock pipe vs Aftermarket - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stock pipe vs Aftermarket

I know a lot of riders buy into the whole loud pipes save lives BS, I don't. People listen to music, talk on their cell phone, etc., having loud pipes won't save you from people being bad drivers.

The way the stock Roadliner is quiet while in idle is one of the things I really love about it. That and the look is beautiful. Then there is the performance you get out of having the EXUP Valve. For me, whenever I see aftermarket pipes on a Roadliner or Stratoliner it makes me cringe a little. Leave the straight pipes for the Harley guys.

Yeah I might catch some flack for this, but it is my opinion. The Roadliner was tuned perfectly so, keeping the pipe stock is important. But the devils advocate part of me knows we all have to make our bikes our own, but I still feel it takes too much away from it. I was very sad when Yamaha discontinued the line.

Ride what fits you, and what you enjoy. Forget about acting macho, to impress your friends or some cute girl.

I ride a 2006 Yamaha Roadliner because it's what fits me, is fast when I want and need it to be, and it makes me feel whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 PM

i prefer aftermarket purely for looks and sound in general and added bonus is performance

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:16 AM

I like noise. But i also like to be able to hear myself think. With the 650 turning higher rpms on the highways i wouldn't mind if my v&h still had the baffles in em or were just a touch quieter. On certain bikes stock exhaust looks and sound fine. If mine didn't come with the v&h on it I'm not sure i would have spent the money.
Immortal82 and Immortal82 like this.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07midnightcustom View Post
I like noise. But i also like to be able to hear myself think. With the 650 turning higher rpms on the highways i wouldn't mind if my v&h still had the baffles in em or were just a touch quieter. On certain bikes stock exhaust looks and sound fine. If mine didn't come with the v&h on it I'm not sure i would have spent the money.
I rarely hear the noise anyways as I wear a full face helmet designed to block the wind. I also have a Bluetooth headset connected to my phone for music and navigation. Probably doesn't help that I already have a significant hearing loss. Too much time under jet engines and next to speakers at concerts.

Ride what fits you, and what you enjoy. Forget about acting macho, to impress your friends or some cute girl.

I ride a 2006 Yamaha Roadliner because it's what fits me, is fast when I want and need it to be, and it makes me feel whole.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:14 AM

I would think the same here being a mechanic and listening to air tools all day but even with the radio cranked up and all i can still hear her screamin at 75 all the way to work, lol. Even with my full face i can still hear it.

Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I mean its not that I can't hear her at all. You are going to hear an 1854cc engine going 75-80 mph....it's just not obnoxiously loud. What bugs me is when some shitty ass Honda that needs a new muffler or catalytic converter or something, is louder than my bike 4 lanes over and I can hear it a 1/4 mile away. Yet some ambulances and firetrucks are quieter than that with their sirens blaring.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM

I think the stock exhaust sounds pretty damn good. About the only thing I would ever do is add a slip on to make it lighter, that would be the only reason. But my thoughts are to probably just leave it stock.

2014 Stratoliner S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc61 View Post
I think the stock exhaust sounds pretty damn good. About the only thing I would ever do is add a slip on to make it lighter, that would be the only reason. But my thoughts are to probably just leave it stock.
I can agree to that. For example, I commute 50 miles round trip when I go to the office, I leave my apt by 7am. I also love to ride at night and sometimes leave after 10pm and get home after 3am.

I live in an apartment complex with an attached parking garage and park on the 4th floor as that is where my apt is. I know my neighbors are appreciative of me not having loud pipes. I don't have to sneak in and out, I can just come and go anytime and ride normal. I've asked my neighbor whose bedroom window is about 15 feet or so from where my bike is parked if he can hear me, and he said he has never heard my bike from anywhere in his apt. That's a good thing.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07midnightcustom View Post

^^^Ditto! When I first got my bike (also a 650), I loved the sound of the V&H short stocks that came on it. Now, I wouldn't mind if it was a tad quieter. Today, I was considering picking up some ear plugs. Maybe it's because I've recently been sick?...but I've noticed my ear, mostly right side only, seems super sensitive to the loud pipes, even with my full face helmet.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 PM

I've noticed that with my full face i hear more buzzy ness from the exhaust while the half helmet there's no buzzy ness. Like whatever pitch it is just vibrates or rattles inside the full face, lol. I just tend to turn the music up a bit more on the highway. I still have the baffles but the previous owner cut them in half so they don't make much difference, would like to wrap part of that half baffle and see what it sounds like tho.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode