oil leak rear cylinder - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Corsair
  • 2 Post By starider07
  • 2 Post By Corsair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
oil leak rear cylinder

Well folks, I changed out both the cover and rocker gaskets on my 09 Strat but the darn thing is still leaking. Not as much but still. Anyone out there have this issue and how did you cure it? This job is a major PITA if you know what I mean. So any and all advice is welcomed.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Sounds so much like an issue I had with mine when it was new. Yet the situation is different.
I bought my '07 Stratoliner and immediately loved it.
Soon there after I started seeing traces of oil blowing back on the bags and sides of the bike but never a puddle or a drop on the ground. But it was clear it was coming from the rear cylinder head area. Since it was under warranty, I took it into the dealer. They said it was the rocker cover and had the bike 3 days replacing it. Again the same results of oil misting back. I returned it again. They again replaced the rocker cover/box gaskets, and another week riding lost. Within 2 days it was more than clear the issue remained.
Upon return to the dealer I went up the Management ladder. The entire head was removed and inspected. I was called in to review the situation. They could not find a reason for the leak. I saw on the machined surfaces for where gaskets made contact, something that did not look right. I could clearly see grinding marks that resembled a rough cut board. The grinding marks looked as if it was hit being ground clockwise, then counterclockwise. Although it looked like course cutting, it was very smooth as glass. With a straight edge, you could not see light in grooves or uneven cutting. Yet it looked horrible.
Although the straight edge showed it was all true, and no imperfections felt, I was able to show the Management that it just did not look right. Not wanting to risk a very unhappy new bike owner, the immediately sent away for a new head. On it's arrival a quick visual inspection showed an entirely different looking machined surface that looked correct. The head was replaced and I have never again experienced a problem. In fact, that is the only problem I have had with the bike.

Now I am sorry to present the worst case scenario to you that I went thru. Not likely is it your problem as it should have shown itself a long time ago.
It appears old fashion trouble shooting is your course now. Replace and replace until the bad gasket/seal is found or the issue is seen. I hate that.

Keep pluggin away. The bike is a great machine and will again be fun after resolution is found.
Close inspection of all little details will win out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for this insight Starider. You're absolutely right, this bike is just awesome to ride. I am going to wait until late fall before I take the bike apart again so I don't miss out on this great summer we're having. I can live with some misting for now eh. I guess I'll have to check out pricing on a new cylinder head just in case.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode