HELP Ran Bike With ZERO Oil!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

HELP Ran Bike With ZERO Oil!!

Here's the deal. I have a 2006 Roadliner with 9000 miles. Recent oil change with K&N Filter, synthetic oil. I rode 52 miles to work today, upon arrival I saw a bit of drippage from underside. Dipstick is bone dry. Back at my house I have a clearly defined trail of heavy oil leakage for about the first 2 miles of my commute, still very obvious 12 hours later. Of course my bike has no oil light, no check engine came on as well.

So, 52 miles, zero oil. Bike ran just fine the entire time. How screwed am I?

P.S. It appears to be an oil filter leak. Snug hand tight, got 1 easy full turn with wrench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Trail of oil from my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160809_205633_1470796493720.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	61697  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 PM

I'd do a complete oil change. That way in the case that there is ne metal shavings that could be caught in the filter they'd stay there. Also during the new oil change pay close attention to the old oil and filter for any sizeable metal shavings. All i can say after that is keep an eye on it. Always best to start and run em a bit at home after an oil change then personally if everythings good i take a short trip around the house then double check everything as I'm cleaning up tools and stuff.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 AM

All above good advise

You didn't mention oil filter brand. Just wondered if is a Bosch 3300 series?

I used Bosch 3300 and 3323 on Strat for years but they changed the threads from being even with seal to being indented to the point they won't completely seal.

Now using NAPA

2013 Colbalt Blue Strat
2009 Stratoliner (new Nov 2011) (retired 2017)
Darkside #115
Venture trunk/backrest
Lindy Hwy Bar
Flanders Touring Bar
Yamaha Light bar w/DayMaker LED lamps
350LM Garmin GPS
Volt gauge
Ultimate seat
Rivco passenger boards
Stebel horn
Braided clutch & brake cables
Clearview windshield w/Memphis shade lowers
SS Cycle oil pressure guage
Superbright 10W LEDS mounted on crashbar
Bridgestone Ecopia 215/55R-17 w/Pirelli Night Dragon front

Last edited by Darksider; 08-10-2016 at 02:42 AM. Reason: adding information
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:17 AM

Garage
I'd do what is mentioned above for sure. If you are near an airport, I would bring the old filter with me and ask one of the mechanics there if he/she could open the filter up to check inside for metal. They have the tool to do this without contaminating the filter media further. We do this on every oil check on the airplanes. If you have nothing there, hop on and ride.
Luscious! and Luscious! like this.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

It is a K&N Filter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Is it possible you left the old oil filter gasket on there? It happened to me once, I caught it though. I think the motor is fine, there is 5 quarts of oil in there so just because it doesn't register on the dip stick there is still a lot of oil in the reservoir.
rayvin57 and rayvin57 like this.

2014 Stratoliner S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:34 AM

When you run and engine without oil, you will trash the rod bearings lickety-split. The fact that you didn't trash the bearings is a good sign.
These engines have a dry sump. You may have had just enough oil to circulate in the system but not register on the dip stick.

A few more miles or maybe just one more 1/2 mile, may have trashed the engine.

You got very lucky my friend.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input. Here's how this all panned out. I pulled the oil filter, there was a nice bevel worn in the gasket somehow after only a few hundred miles which caused the leak.

After pulling the 3 drain bolts, I found 2+ quarts of oil remaining in the bottom of the pan, which I think has saved my engine. She runs as strong as ever.

There were no obvious metal shavings in the oil. I think I dodged a bullet, The Matrix style.

What I believe happened was I removed the gasket from the filter to give it a "pre-lube" on both sides while changing it. When placed it back into the filter, it was a shade loose but I felt that it would compress to normal once it was screwed in place. I think I created an area of stress on that rubber gasket when I applied torque to it while loose, and after the heat and vibration of a few hundred miles, it wore through.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:54 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

NEVER take the gasket out of the filter, only put a small amount of oil on the mating surface of the gasket. I am glad you did not lose your motor. I always prefill my oil filters with oil as well before installing on a motor.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode