Fuel Pump Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Pump Problem

Anyone know why the fuel pump pressurizes the little tank next to it? Mine split awhile back, I melted the crack together, started and ran great, but split again this past weekend causing hard starting. This time I'm going to run a hose from the top of the fuel pump to the engine bypassing that crappy little black tank that seems to be a problem for many others. Just want to know if it is important. Thanks

Hugh R. Acosta Jr.
Retired Air Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:53 AM

Garage
What do you call the small tank? Is it the housing around the pump itself? If thismis what you're refering to then yes you need this part. Unfortunately, Ma Yammy doesn't seel this part by itself but rather the whole assy. Do a search on here about this cracking housing and you'll find a few posts where the folks found direct replacements a a lesser cost than what Yammy wants.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Tank

Thanks for the response. I have studied that "mini" tank and researched the reason/purpose for it for quite some time last night. Don't see any purpose for it, but I am not a hydraulic engineer or whatever engineer designed it. Will keep looking today and see if I can come up with a "quality" permanent fix before opening it up. Again thanks and have a Happy New Year........

Hugh R. Acosta Jr.
Retired Air Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Finished

I purchased a Kemso 13836 fuel pump from EBay and it fixed my problem. The black "tank" that splits is a paper style fuel filter with a very large surface area. I cut that section off, bonded a double barbed 3/16" hose fitting right in line with the fuel pickup nipple on top of the plastic top, connected a short section of hose from the pump to the barbed fitting with a fuel filter in line, and zip tied the electronic stuff to the side of the pump. Bike starts after about three revolutions and runs nice. For $30, not a bad repair. Need to adjust my Cobra EFI again, but I'm back on the road. If anyone wants me to post pictures, I'll look for them and post them.

Now to replace the broken clutch cable on my wife's Roadstar which turned out to be an interesting ride home through traffic last night not being able to stop. Might as well fix the oil leak on her bike coming from the left side too! Busy, busy, busy....

Hugh R. Acosta Jr.
Retired Air Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode