Lowering the Stratoliner - members please advise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Lowering the Stratoliner - members please advise

just bought an 11' Stratoliner!!! Love the bike. She has a PC3, Hard Krome Straights and a nice upgrade in audio with Blue Tooth added. Need some advice on lowering the beast a little and hear lots about either A: Adding a 200/50/17 tire, B: Lowering links which are 1.75" or using the new Progressive 465 shock to lower her an inch as well. The Tire option sounds great if the RPM's arent too high but would love to hear from you fine peeps! She only has 15K miles on her. I have the Yamaha Comfort seats on the way too.

I know plenty of members have lowered the bike and have opinions on which mod they like best and or have tried all?? The 200/50/17 tire mod is kool but does it keep the bike at too high of an RPM at 80MPH (live in AZ and 80MPH on highway).. On the lower link mod can I crank the spring down enough to hold wife and I well and not bottom out? (only 350 pounds combined weight of wife and I). Or is it best to use the 465 Progressive shock 1" lower. Who has done what and LOVES what??

Newbie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 PM

Garage
Hey Alvin!
Congrats on your new ride!

I have an '09 Roadliner with a 200/55/17 tire and I was on the highway yesterday hitting close to 75 MPH @ 3k RPM (give or take). As far as lowering the bike... I'm 6' tall and can sit flat-footed while stopped. Still, I think a 1.75" lowering kit would be aesthetically awesome!

I'd love to read the replies as they come in. Congrats again on your new bike!

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:52 PM

Garage
Mines lowered in the rear using lowering dog bones. I do scrape floorboards fairly easily but again i am running the factory shock. It doesnt bottom out either. I did crank the spring down, wife and i are about 325lbs combined. I'm also running a Raider rear rim with a 240/40/18 tire. Mine lowered i still cant flat foot, im 5'9" tall.

Sent from my Motorola Flip Phone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Garage

This is lowered in rear.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:24 PM

Garage
How much lower than stock, overall with all your mods, is that? I have a new to me 2013 Strat, and I want something just not quite stock. I was thinking around 2 inches should do it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage
Dont know. I didnt take any measurements before hand. With my bars turned to the left, from the ground to the tip of my rear fender is 12.5 inches

outbackzack and outbackzack like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Klement View Post
just bought an 11' Stratoliner!!! Love the bike. She has a PC3, Hard Krome Straights and a nice upgrade in audio with Blue Tooth added. Need some advice on lowering the beast a little and hear lots about either A: Adding a 200/50/17 tire, B: Lowering links which are 1.75" or using the new Progressive 465 shock to lower her an inch as well. The Tire option sounds great if the RPM's arent too high but would love to hear from you fine peeps! She only has 15K miles on her. I have the Yamaha Comfort seats on the way too.
Just curious: what did you decide, Alvin?

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM140.6 View Post
Just curious: what did you decide, Alvin?
Used the progressive shock (1" lower") and the Yamah/Corbin comfort seats. She is a BLAST! The shock makes a hell of a difference in handling. The gent who owned her before had the floor board extension kit put on (3" forward). I left them in place so I can carve the canyons better. I also added a Rockford sound system (T400X2 mini amp/Pro 6.5" /T series and blue tooth receiver). She auto connects to my phone and sounds like a concert. The Mini amp is super efficient for our bikes and fits perfectly under Deluxe fairing. Added a laydown bracket too but not in these pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat lowered4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	69985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat lowered 1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	69993  
IM140.6 and IM140.6 like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
Very nice! Can you post a link to the sound system? I'm toying with the idea; black Bluetooth speakers.

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

The best amplifier hands down on the market for Motorcycles is the new T400x2AD. Super efficient, small package, big power, and can limit the speakers to not produce TOO much bass and distort.
T400X2ad - Power 400 Watt Class AD 2-Channel Amplifier | Rockford Fosgate®

Their are several 6.5's that will fit in our fairing. The most efficient/loudest is the TMS65. That's the same being used in all HARLEY DAVIDSON kits and INDIANS. They handle the most power/are the loudest and will take abuse when hitting 80MPH.
TMS65 - Power*Harley-Davidson® 6.5"*Full Range Fairing/Tour-Pak Speakers (2014+) | Rockford Fosgate®

The Punch series will work as well. Just not as loud. Totally a budget thing..
P1650 - Punch 6.5" 2-Way Full Range Euro Fit Compatible Speaker | Rockford Fosgate®

Here is the Bluetooth module. Totally concealed in fairing. You dont even need a ignition wire. The amp will turn on when it senses the bluetooth connection.
RFBTRCA - Universal Bluetooth to RCA Adaptor | Rockford Fosgate®

I will be making a post soon to share. Just haven't had time.
IM140.6 and IM140.6 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode