Fuel pump - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel pump

I started having serious issues with my raider, back firing, loss of power like if it shut off, and rough idle. I took it in the shop to go through it and service etc... No issues except the plugs needed changed out. They also synchronize the carbs.

I was in Daytona crusing and it was doing it again but worst. I quickly did some research on the net and someone said to fill up the tank to see if that would solve it. I was confused at first but with a full tank, no issues. I kept the tank full not letting it go below half, and again, no issues. Once I got back I did more research to find out our Raiders tend to get cracks in the fuel pumps. This causes it to leak and lose pressure.

Looking online, the fuel pumps are about $500.00. Did anyone rebuild a fuel pump? Kits to replace them are about $60.00

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I started having serious issues with my raider, back firing, loss of power like if it shut off, and rough idle. I took it in the shop to go through it and service etc... No issues except the plugs needed changed out. They also synchronize the carbs.

I was in Daytona crusing and it was doing it again but worst. I quickly did some research on the net and someone said to fill up the tank to see if that would solve it. I was confused at first but with a full tank, no issues. I kept the tank full not letting it go below half, and again, no issues. Once I got back I did more research to find out our Raiders tend to get cracks in the fuel pumps. This causes it to leak and lose pressure.

Looking online, the fuel pumps are about $500.00. Did anyone rebuild a fuel pump? Kits to replace them are about $60.00

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Where on earth are you looking that they're $500? New OEM ones are $420 on partzilla, and I find plenty of aftermarket replacement fuel pumps around $60 shipped... Given the manifold problems Raider OEM fuel pumps seem to have, not sure why you'd want OEM anyway.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I called a dealer at approx 520.00.. the $60.00 pump you mentioned looks good to me especially over the OEM...did you replace your pump or has anyone you know did this?

Which pump do you think would be the best? Do you have a link to purchase one?

Like this one?
https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23900...2008-2018.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Tree - that part you are looking at is the pump motor - you need the entire fuel pump. The assembly housing cracks and causes the issues. And even if it is only the pump motor, you'd be well served to replace the entire assembly. I replaced mine with a new assembly.

Best price I found was $428

https://www.yocracing.com/accessory_...idproduct=8945

I'd recommend replacing the entire assembly and be sure to order BOTH gaskets. You could do the work if you have decent mechanical skills.

Lot more info on the "other" Raider forum.

Good luck!

Last edited by bigdaddyl; 11-01-2017 at 08:13 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll plan on doing it in the spring. Have to save a little cash.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 AM

A raider is fuel injected, hence the pump, no petcock and no carbs, no?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:07 PM

What's the flow rating of the EFI fuel pump on a Raider? The fuel pump on my carbureted XVS 650 is very basic and low pressure since it only needs to get fuel from the petcock up to the carbs.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 11-09-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 PM

Hove no idea about flow rating, but the common problem are cracks in the pump assembly housing and not just the pump motor.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm just hoping it will be a permanent fix...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode