Raider Exhaust Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Raider Exhaust Question

So I am looking at the Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust System for my Raider. I was doing some reading that Yamaha has some sort of valve controlled by the computer in the exhaust. What is up with this and putting on the exhaust I want? 2015 year bike.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
So I am looking at the Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust System for my Raider. I was doing some reading that Yamaha has some sort of valve controlled by the computer in the exhaust. What is up with this and putting on the exhaust I want? 2015 year bike.
exhaust ultimate power valve or EXUP valve controls the back pressure by opening or closing the exhaust flow for the best torque, google "exup by yamaha" to learn about it
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:26 AM

You will have to unhook the cables from the exup valve to change out the exhaust. Remove the cables completely, eave the exup valve motor on the bike and install your new exhaust. The exup motor will still operate as the computer tells it to, but it wonít be hooked up to your new exhaust. There will be no error codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorseman View Post
You will have to unhook the cables from the exup valve to change out the exhaust. Remove the cables completely, eave the exup valve motor on the bike and install your new exhaust. The exup motor will still operate as the computer tells it to, but it wonít be hooked up to your new exhaust. There will be no error codes.
You forgot to mention that the O2 Sensor is connected to the exhaust. It will need to be removed, as well. Now, with the EXUP valve and the O2 Sensor gone, the computer will not be able to properly regulate fuel and oxygen ratio. So the engine will start to run sluggishly. A fuel processor will then be required.

If you must change out the exhaust, at least consider Ivan's ECU re-flash (google it). Contact Ivan, and let him know what you want to do, and he will recommend the best set up. Of course, the ECU re-flash is the main component to ensure that your engine is with the best performance, regardless of what exhaust you use.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

The aftermarket exhaust "SHOULD" have a spot for the oxygen sensor. even if it doesnt I can put in an 02 bung. That is not a big deal. I was just trying to learn about the exup valve. Thanks for the non troll answers. BTW I do not ride or drive a vehicle where the CEL is on. That is why I do all my research before jumping into a bunch of changes.

This was in the Q and A section for the exhaust I want.
Do these exhaust have the 02 sensor bung ?
Answer Question By: mglii
If your machine was originally equipped with oxygen sensors from the factory, then yes - this Cobra exhaust would include a provision for fitting those in roughly the same position as the stock exhaust.

Last edited by NGM; 01-01-2018 at 04:13 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:23 PM

I have Freedom Performance exhaust on mine and it came with a bung for the O2 sensor.
My guess is most do. It also came with a plug in case you do run a fuel processor and want to go without the sensor installed. The fuel processor should come with a plug-in to replace the O2 sensor to complete the circuit and eliminate a false code being thrown.
Good advice from Towers as well. Check into Ivanís reflash...itís worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Ok so ECU has been shipped to Ivan, Cobra Speedster exhaust is ordered. Damn this good deal on the bike is getting expensive fast.
Highwayman likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Ok so ECU has been shipped to Ivan, Cobra Speedster exhaust is ordered. Damn this good deal on the bike is getting expensive fast.

You aren't going to regret it....let us know what you think
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorseman View Post
You aren't going to regret it....let us know what you think
The only downside, and it is a small one, I have not even put 150 miles on the bike. I have not gone full throttle with it yet, so as far as the butt-o-meter I will not know the difference. I am just hoping to get somewhere near what his dyno graphs show. Almost 130 ft lbs of torque.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towersx View Post
You forgot to mention that the O2 Sensor is connected to the exhaust. It will need to be removed, as well. Now, with the EXUP valve and the O2 Sensor gone, the computer will not be able to properly regulate fuel and oxygen ratio. So the engine will start to run sluggishly. A fuel processor will then be required.

If you must change out the exhaust, at least consider Ivan's ECU re-flash (google it). Contact Ivan, and let him know what you want to do, and he will recommend the best set up. Of course, the ECU re-flash is the main component to ensure that your engine is with the best performance, regardless of what exhaust you use.
Cobra Swepts have an O2 sensor bung. Regarding the Exup, removing the cables is all that is needed - had no effect on my bikes performance. And finally, you won't need a fuel processor if you do Ivan's flash, and Ivan recommends disconnecting the O2 sensor.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode